Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone please give me some advice. A week ago I got a 9 wk old puppy (border collie cross with husky) from one of our local rescue centres. He was fine until he after his visit to the vets, full of life and very licky! Max had his 1st injection and seemed ok, however in the last couple of days he has developed a cough and diahorrea. When I phoned the vets they said it was just how some dogs react to the vaccine. Am I over reacting?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would get a second opinion. Yes it may be a normal reaction, but if I was you Id take him again and have him checked out. I would ask for a fecal exam to check for worms and depending on the area he was from, I'd have him parvo tested. I will admit though, I'm paranoid about parvo. I hope this helps Max out and congrats on the new family member!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If he carries on with these symptoms then you should act fast. But often after an injection there are a few side effects that will last a couple of days in certain dogs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never had any reactions after jabs with any of the dogs that I have had.I hope it sorts out soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple other thoughts on his symptoms-the diarrhea could be from a change in his food and the cough could be kennel cough. I have never gotten a dog from the shelter that didn't have it in some form. My husky never really had symptoms but gave it to our other dogs and my current puppy had it pretty badly but it didn't show up for a week after I had adopted him.

Hope you get it figured out and that he is OK!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't heard of it, but I would also rather get a second opinion. Not to make you any more worried, but it doesn't sound good at all. Rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that maybe you are just over reacting a little. It might be that you have never had a dog before, and you are just new to the experience and can be very cautious about the new puppy. After all, you love it alot, don't you? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,
I agree with the provisional diagnosis of Kennel Cough, and would recommend taking him back to the same vet that gave the vaccination. Parvo can cause diahorrhoea, and young pups can be killed by the disease. The advice that I was given when I was housebreaking my girl was to never take her out anywhere where other dogs go until the final round of puppy vaccinations was complete, and there is an outbreak of Parvo here in South Australia. Taking this advice onbourd, I only took her out to the garden for 'her business', leaving walks in the park until she was fully immunised. I hope things have cleared up, as well.
Cheers Jewels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts