Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
1st of all, thank you very much for reading my post.
I and my husband experience some difficult issue with my dog and don't know what should we do with him.
I have 2 dogs, one is perfect, fun, affectionate, obedient,
The other is not like that. Firstly, he doesn't come when we call. He has a mind of his own, and doesn't care much about us ( if I stay at home the whole day, he's no where to be seen; most of the time, he's outside in the backyard). He on
Eager to come to me in the evening because I usually take them out for a walk in the evening. If I want to feed him, I have to bring the bowl to him. Secondly, he pees and poops in the house. Even though the dog door open, we will pee in the house if we forgot to take him to the back yard at night. I usually have to carry him out to the back yard before I go to sleep and after I wake up, because he won't come when I call. Now he's 4.5 years old. He sleeps with us on the bed at night, if we move our hand or touch him while he's sleeping, he will growl at us. We don't know what to do with him. Please advice us what to do. Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would quit letting him sleep on the bed if he is going to growl at you while you try to sleep.

Put him on a regimented potty schedule, as if he were a puppy, and watch him closely when he is in the house.

Train the recall and every time he responds throw him a party! Make it really fun so he will always come when called. Kikopup has some great training vids on youtube if you need help.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
For the growling at night I'll echo the advice given, you need to stop letting him sleep with you. It's one of two thing, grumpy when woken up or resource guarding, and with either of them the easiest fix is having the dog sleep on it's own bed.

He's not housetrained, and he shouldn't have any freedom in the house unless he has just pottied outside. If he's targeting a certain room in the house then you'll need to completely deny him access to that room unless you are right their to supervise him. First clean your rugs and floor with an enzyme cleaner so that all urine and feces scent is removed. It may not smell to you but he's able to smell faint traces that are undetectable to human noses, and that's what an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle will get rid of. Once your floors are clean you need to go back to housetraining 101, that's where no freedom in the house comes into play, your job is to prevent all accidents in the house so that he breaks the habit of pottying inside and forms a habit of pottying outside. Treat him like he's a puppy and follow the instructions in this thread http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

When a dog is independent like yours is you need to make what you want him to do better then what he wants to do. When that's recall you need to first train in an area where you are more interesting then anything else then slowly add in distractions and move to new, more interesting, areas. Using high value treats, a favorite game, or a fun toy, will help. You call him to you and play with him, give him the treat, make a big deal out of his coming to you, and if you can let him go back to what he was doing that's even better because it'll teach him that coming to you does not mean he can't do what he wanted to do. I like to call my dog to me, give him a treat, and then let him go back to doing whatever it was that he wanted to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys very much for the reply. It helps a lot. I'll potty train him again. Before when I didn't go to work, I stayed with him all the time so that he didn't have a chance to pee in house. However, since I went to work and left him at home for 8.5 hours, the problem started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts