Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and I found it just because I can't think of anywhere else to go. Let me start off by giving some info; I'm 16, and I just adopted a new dog from the shelter, a terrier mix named Lucky, in part to give my other little guy, Max, a buddy. I saw Lucky and was just struck by him, but at this point I can't tell if it was just infatuation or not. He's the sweetest little guy, and he's pretty much one of the best dogs somebody could ask for; but I'm sitting here in my bed having a mildly serious panic attack over it. It feels like things are already changed so much more than I expected, and I don't know, am I over reacting? I really didn't expect how much more work it would be handling both Maxy and Lucky at once. They really are both little angels but it's just so different and so much change and I'm really just having a freakout here with Lucky in his crate next to me. The worst part is, I kept pushing and pushing my mom to sign the papers because I was so in love, and I'm scared to tell her that I'm having second thoughts because she wasn't necessarily in love with the idea in the first place. Please help me, try to calm me down or give me advice or something, I just feel so stressed and almost scared :(

Thank you so much guys and gals, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hi and don't freak out yet! First I will tell you almost EVERYONE who adopts a dog has severe anxiety about the change it brings the family and how difficult it is in the beginning for both the dog and the family to get used to the change! Thats so normal. A terrier has a lot of energy, and they also have a ton of love to give and are very entertaining! I have always had two dogs and yep, initially I thought I was absolutely going to "lose it" at the beginning! But what I found is that my two dogs always bonded with each other, slept together, watched out for each other, played and exercised together...and it was a lot LESS work as a result! It's ok to change your mind too....sometimes the timing is just not "right", there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe talk with your mom, let her know your reservations and give the adoption some time to settle in and get used to the new digs....and then see how you feel. We spent 4 months with our rescue Addison thinking we made a huge mistake (we couldn't even pet her!) and now I would do anything and everything for this dog, lol. She is such a great little addition to our family! She's our "heart" dog and I am constantly amazed at how much I have learned from her!
Just take a big breath, a decision doesn't have to be made today, next week, etc. and what you are feeling is what we all go through!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts