Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kona, 23 month old female American Bulldog in perfect health, 78 pounds



  • Thursday April 2, she gets a hold of a prescription bottle belonging to a house guest
  • House guest says there was only about 10 ibuprofen pills
  • Vet and Animal poison control said it shouldn’t be a problem; to just observe her
  • 1 to 2 hours later she looks really, really lethargic
  • Wife takes her to the vet
  • Vet believes something else might have been in the bottle
  • Wife questions the house guest in anger and admits there might have been a sliver or half a Xanax along with the ibuprofen
  • Vet induces vomiting, gives her activated charcoal, and IV fluids
  • Vet tells us that they collected a urine sample that had some blood in it, it could be they hit a blood vessel while extracting the urine or it could be something else
  • Vet says to monitor and collect urine samples. Blood in urine should be gone by morning
  • Vet places fluids in under her outer skin and we take her home that evening
  • Vet gives her two prescriptions:
  • Urine samples are collected that same evening and night by us, urine is now clear, no blood
  • The next day (Friday) she begins drinking large amounts of water and asks us to let her out frequently to urinate throughout the day. (about every 30-45 minutes)
  • Little drops of urine are noticed wherever she lays
  • That night (Friday) while sleeping she cannot control urine output and wets the bed (she has not peed in the house since she was 9 weeks old)
  • Saturday and Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights same thing, wets the location she is sleeping in and continues to urinate frequently throughout the day and drinking a lot of water
  • On Wednesday we go back to the vet.
  • Vet takes urine and blood samples and send them out to a lab
  • Thursday (4/9) afternoon vet gets the results and says she might have some kidney damage or even kidney failure.
  • Vet says 2 days of kidney flush might help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
How close are you to the house guest? I'd be seeing red if someone poisoned my dog...accident or not. Well, I'm not a vet, so I don't really have any advice for you. I sure do hope you and your vet are able to get her through this. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I'm very glad you took your dog to the vet. I sure do hope everything will be ok.

But I can't belive your vet wasn't concerned about the dog getting ibuprofen... and a lot at that! That causes kidney failure in dogs. Have they checked for anemia? It also causes ulcers which can lead to anemia.

What strenght of Ibu was this? Since you said it's in an Rx bottle I"m guessing not the 200mg OTC dose. Rx doses range 400 to 800mg. The toxic dose for ulcers for a dog is 50mg/lb and for kidney failure is 150mg/lb. So for your 78 lb dog, 3900mg for ulcers, 7500mg for kidney failure. If the dog too 10 tabs at 800mg each, that's 8000mg.

If your dog has kidney failure, needs to stay at the vet on IV fluids to make it. You and your sweetie are in my prayers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the quick response, we are going to do everything we can. I appreciate the info, we worked out the #'s and feel better. The wife's cousin specializes in premie infant kidney issues and believes the results equal total reversal, not bad enough for permamnent damage. tomorrow she is goint to see a vet which specializes in renal issues. Again thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
How's your doggy doing today?
Mine got into my horse's medication, 85 capsules of pergolide, two dogs (one only 20ish pounds and one 98 pounds) and I was thinking of your dog while we were at the vets. So far mine are ok, they threw up a LOT and there were lots of caps in the vomit, then vet induced vomiting more, and gave them charcoal, he didn't feel they needed IV fluids based on everything. Oh did blood work as well, and that doesn't show any effects of the pergolide, so that's good... but funny, pergolide is for cushings, and the results on my large dog suggest she may in fact have cushings herself!!! She goes in for testing next week.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top