Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leashed neighbbourhood walks have never been Sonics favourite thing. He hates them hates them or loves them, not sure. Lets say that in the beginning he was so frustrated and reactive (continually) that I would leave him home if I wanted a neighbourhood walk.

This January, I was determined to fix this, and Yay! and Whoot! And I now can get him to play with me on a walk. I figure this is a fast dog that wants to dart and run about and being tethered to me will never be his favourite thing, so if I want to make things better for him, I need to get him to play especially tug so he has an acceptable way to burn some excess energy.

He had no knowledge of 'play with toys/human' when I got him. By summer, I had him playing with me in my yard, and he's completely awesome with his toy in agility, but flatly refused to play on walks, as nope, nope, nada, not doing it, Look! Squirrel! Look! Dog! Smells! Cars! Geese! Smells, Look! Muscrat, Listen! Dogs! (<-sonic's brain on leashed neighbourhood walks).

I had to pull out the big guns to finally get him playing on walks, meaning chicken in toy (it's a tuggable frisbee with food pouch) and play hard ball, as in chicken only comes out for toy play, regular treat food for everything else.

https://youtu.be/7i1Uof4uGHQ

https://youtu.be/nEmg2jPLJ80

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Um, excuse me LOOK AT HOW AMAZING HIS TUGGING IS. And he chooses to engage with you again and again and again. That is beautiful. :) He's really come out of his shell - you've done amazing work with him.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Shandula
So many people have dogs that just plain want to play, they see a thing, and pick it up, and game on... with this guy, it's a labour of love.
It feels a bit weird bragging about 'he plays, he plays', so thanks for understanding.
And yep, he's finally started the hard back humping tug yank. I got help with that from a video about how to teach tug & the importance of giving the 'a legitimate' win.
I hope he gets to enjoy his leashed walks more.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here he is doing 'the pogo'. It's his own invention, pops straight up in the air at the beginning of every walk, but I LOVE it. He can actually pop up to eye level. Fun.

I would love to train him to do this in heel position, now that would make for a fun leashed walk, but once we get on the way, the behaviour's gone. Will see now that he's having some fun on walks.

Reactions: cld22
1 - 5 of 5 Posts