Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Playing Favorites...?

676 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  livi12 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone, background really quick on me.. I'm 37yrs old I've had a dog practically my entire life, 2 german shephards, 1 golden retriever & currently a Chihuahua/Mix & a Jack Russel/Mix. The Chihuahua was the 1st we got & the jack a yr later, also I was the one who suggested we get a puppy, then a yr later suggested 1 more to keep Madison/Maddi company. Fast forward 3 yrs and all is well, I'm the one who basically takes care of them, walks them, feeds them, etc... Now these dogs couldnt be more polar opposites in personality, Madison the Chihuahua LOVES people & other animals, LOVES the heat & walking, Peanut the Jack barks at people & other animals and is also aggressive, she dosent care much for walks ESPECIALLY in the heat!!! I'm talking Madison is pulling all the way in front of me & peanut is lagging behind the entire walk!!! So sometimes when it's hot like it's been, I'll take them both out, but come back & drop peanut off at home to take Madison out for another 5min or so. When I do that, ill make it a point to come back & play with Peanut throwing the ball for a bit & if maddi wants to play too at the same time, we will... My gf thinks I'm playing favs & freaks out on me for this... YET, she will play SOLELY with peanut throwing the ball & maddi just got fed up with her basically ignoring her bc Maddi is harder to play with. She dosent always want to come back with the ball or toy, so she'll come back but wants you to get another toy or something, so she just lays there and dosent even try anymore. But am I playing favs with dropping 1 dog off to take the other for 5min bc the 1 hates the heat?? Also mind you this only happens once in a while, it's no wheres close to being a normal thing... ide luv your input

See less See more
#3 ·
My question is when did the girlfriend come along? If you are doing what you say with the dogs and spending that much effort on them maybe they are not the problem. Only you know your dogs needs and it sounds like someone is guilt tripping you for no reason. Do what makes the dogs happy and safe and dont worry what someone else thinks. I have six dogs and do have favorites nothing wrong with that.

#4 ·
Sounds like the gf is playing favorites with peanut and putting her guilt on to you. You know your dogs and if one is enjoying a walk and the heat and the other isn't, nothing wrong with not forcing peanut to endure more. Just like Madison doesn't like fetch and peanut does so if plays fetch with peanut.
You do what each dog likes.
I did train my dog to play fetch so now he likes it using tons of bacon treats, praise and belly rubs whenever he brought the ball back. And it has to be a squeaky ball only. He also watched tons of other dogs on the park playing fetch and started trying it. But it's never going to be his teason for existing like my last dog who would play for hours until he literally dropped and would fetch literally anything and everything.
So it's possible to teach them.

#5 ·
I know tons of people that walk their dogs completely separately, I don't think its playing favorites at all. Sometimes dogs need to be walked separately because of different temperaments or dog aggression or fears or even for one on one training opportunities.

In fact I think you're being a good owner by realizing the limitations of one dog and not just choosing to stop the walk entirely but to keep going with the other one if she needs it. It sounds like you're the primary caretaker and you know your dogs best. You're the best one suited to make decisions for their wellbeing (and it sounds like you know that). Not someone who doesn't take part in caregiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.