Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi dog forum :)

first of all thank you for all the help in housetraining!

so now my puppy is biting like, everyone. in the articles I read it just says to ignore him, but I can't because it hurts. it's gotten to the point where I'm scared to let him out of his crate because he jumps on me and scratches and bites. I tried doing stuff like yelling "no" really loudly and trying to give him something else to bite, but it just doesn't work? I'm pretty sure we give him enough exercise, and when I leave he's calm, but when I make any sudden movements he jumps on me? what do I do?

also he barks at strangers who visit my house?

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 14 week old is nipping too
I just asked the vet yesterday about this at his exam
The vet gave us these great rawhide strips that he loves and will chew on for a long time. They are pretty thick so he doesn't consume too much of it
He said it's important for puppies to get enough chewing time in with something they really like
He also said that around 6 months things will calm down naturally with the teething
When he is biting my ankles as I'm walking I say "Eh Eh" Nothing scary.
He is starting to get the point
If we are sitting playing with him, we redirect with a toy or rawhide
Exercise helps, a tired puppy is a good puppy!
I don't know about the barking, our dog isn't a big barker
I would say use high-value treats and teach him a nice sit when meeting new people and then reward
Just throwing out ideas! The nipping definitely tests my patience lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 14 week old is nipping too
I just asked the vet yesterday about this at his exam
The vet gave us these great rawhide strips that he loves and will chew on for a long time. They are pretty thick so he doesn't consume too much of it
He said it's important for puppies to get enough chewing time in with something they really like
He also said that around 6 months things will calm down naturally with the teething
When he is biting my ankles as I'm walking I say "Eh Eh" Nothing scary.
He is starting to get the point
If we are sitting playing with him, we redirect with a toy or rawhide
Exercise helps, a tired puppy is a good puppy!
I don't know about the barking, our dog isn't a big barker
I would say use high-value treats and teach him a nice sit when meeting new people and then reward
Just throwing out ideas! The nipping definitely tests my patience lol
haha yea, thanks.

we just went for a walk (read: run xD) and I'm dead tired, and my dog is too, but then he just sleeps for a few hours and then he goes back to being full of energy -_- I have to get used to it I guess

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a nipper too. When I took him to the vet, he tried to nip her and she stuck two fingers down his throat. He never bit her again. The next time he tried to nip at me I did it too and he hasn't nipped at me since. She said that by doing that you teach him that it's inappropriate to bite humans. Although I got him to stop nipping me, he still tries to nip at other people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.