Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several of each. I prefer the wire crates because it is easy to see inside them, but for similar yet opposing reasons a dog might prefer the plastic ones because they are more cavelike. Am I over thinking this, do you think it makes much of a difference and if so, what did you get for your dogs?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I have wire crates, but I also have soft sided crates for travelling. I like the wire crates to start, since they're easy to put treats through the bars for building up value. My dogs seem to prefer the soft sided crate, it's the one they choose when I send them to their crates.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I have wire, plastic, and soft sided crates. I like all three for different reasons. For me it really depends on the dog.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
502 Posts
My dogs prefer the plastic, and so do I. They like the more den-like atmosphere. They also aren't noisy and don't rattle around, and for me seem more secure. I've seen too many dogs escape the wire crates.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's my very very recent experience with wire crates. Perfect if you're doing supervised training, or have a well behaved dog with minimal seperation anxiety. Now for my experience which none of those applied. Left my sweet, crate trained, 45 lb, 5 year old elkhound mix for a couple hours. She figured out how to disassemble the cage from the inside. Smart pup, pretty impressed actually. Outsmarted her and added a clip to prevent her jailbreaking. Fast forward few hours: general anxiety symptoms aside, she had bent (read that, BENT) the entire bottom of the door and ejected the bedding tray. Looked up online to review it and lo and behold it turns out they were designed to be used for training.

Here's some fun stuff though. She still tries to go inside it for unrelated command reinforcement training (adorbs), it makes a pretty decent counter, and she managed to get the cage a full foot off the ground (scratched paint says so).

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use the wire because my dog gets hot at night. I drape a towel over the top for a roof and let it dangle to the floor if he needs it more cave like

·
Registered
12 Posts
In "How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skete, they prefer "airline shipping crates made of molded plastic with metal doors." (p 205)

What do you think? What did you choose?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up with all wire crates in the bedroom because of the good point about heat. I live in Texas and it gets hot, I have room ACs but in the height of summer the ceiling fan and AC make it more comfortable. I don't think they are going to bust out of their crates while I am in the same room, but I've used those crates when I leave for short periods and so far they have been fine.

The other crates are used to feed. There is one dog where if I leave for more than a short time I might put her in her large plastic crate, but that hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Kris, my Dobe, has always been fine in her wire crate both at home and in my Van. Last year when I was leaving an Agility trial, I took the two small dogs out first and I guess Kris figured I was leaving her as she grabbed the front of her crate, just like the one in the picture and bent it up before I could get back to get her. She did not get out as I heard the cage rattling and went right back. They bend fairly easily but almost impossible to bend back again. I can just still latch the door on it and she has never done it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.