Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easier to find a cute puppy at a rescue than to plan ahead all the minute details about your next dog... as much as I loved all of my rescue dogs, I'm not sure that would be the best option this next go around. My next dog would not likely be your average house pet, because pending discussions with my various medical practitioners I may require a Service Dog. I have one problem that often becomes a mobility issue, social and generalized anxieties, PTSD, and another stress/anxiety disorder that presents with compulsive self-mutilation. My combination of issues presents with a whole other problem of training programs (all in my area are mobility and guiding only; many others only train for one specific disability).

I love German Shepherds. They are "my" breed. However, they do not often make very good PSDs. As the majority of my problems are psychologically based, my heart breed won't make an absolutely good choice. As much as I also love Mals and know I could properly care for one, they are also likely out the window.

I'm not a big fan of other common breeds usedan for service work. I might consider a Golden if I have no other choice. I am really not fond of Labs. While Poodles are growing on me, they're really not my dog. I'm also really not fond of doodles. They simply don't appeal to me in any facet besides potential cuteness depending on how the genes spliced.

I love Nordic breeds, but they are a huge nope for service work ;) So my real final option that I like is a Collie (rough preferably). I've been around a few. I love training dogs, so I can do general obedience work and tricks among other mental exercise to keep him thinking and happy. They are not generally too small to do the minimal bracing or counterbalance that I would require. The coat would actually be great because it would give the dog something to redirect my self-mutilating behavior to. Another good thing is I have a handful of people I know who got their own Collies from reputable sources, so I have that kind of education and resource on my side as well.

So with breed more or less "down"... there's all the other planning. Finding a training program is more or less impossible so perhaps I can manage to find a private trainer to work with who specializes in service training. Then there's the doggy supplies... food (hopefully raw), toys, etc.

It's years away and I'm excited XD

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ahhhhh Collies are SO cute. I'm already jealous of your puppy that doesn't even exist yet.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I immediately thought of collies even before getting to the end of your post. They're amazing dogs! I recently fell in love with an amazing rough collie. He seriously reminded me of a big blond Riley.

I'm with @Shandula. So excited for you!

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Shandula @Rileysaur
Thank you. It'll be a while yet. I want to get all of the details hashed out and prepared... as well as working out my life. While it might help me personally, I don't think it would be good to bring a dog into a lifestyle of living in a vehicle with three people (it's hard, but I've kind of... gotten used to it). We're hoping to be able to rent maybe a townhome next summer, so that would be a step forward; as well, I did my little healthcare marketplace application and they automatically sent an application in to Medicaid, so maybe I can get some official diagnoses (all of the psychological stuff is official; just need to figure out the dissociation thing) through that if I am accepted (comparable plans in VA are nearly 3x the cost of what I had in MD).

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah, trying to train a puppy in such small quarters would def. be a challenge lol. I understand though, I guess you could say it took me 15 years (maybe more) to get my first dog, so I'm no stranger to planning ahead and waiting :p

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have been looking at a particular breeder who breeds gsd mixes and collie mixes for 'service' purposes. They seem like okay breeders from what I can gather from the website, but I don't know if they are 'reputable' enough. (I have not talked with them one on one yet. I am curious of their 'adoption' process of rescues of gsd/collie mixes.) They are collie breeders and rarely breed the mixes. But that would be up to you. (THey breed golden/labs for service so why not breed other breeds if they are compatible?)

Since gsd's are your dogs and you are looking into the collie why not see if these breeders are 'reputable' who mix em?

StirlingCollies.com, "Collie Puppies, Collie Breeder, Shollies, Collie

As I said, I do not know if they are really 'reputable', but who knows, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My family had Collies when I was younger (we've had a wide range of herders, haha) and they are absolutely awesome dogs. I already know my next dog will be one :) so excited for you as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts