Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my dog gets really excited around other dogs, and to a much lesser extent, people.
Like today, I took her to our apartment's small dog park to play with her new flirt stick. We waited until the park was empty, because if we were to go in, she would jump all over the other dogs and generally be nuts.
We played with the flirt pole for a few minutes ( she was behaving really well, following commands, etc), but then 2 leashed dogs walked by on the outside of the fence with their owner.
Jupiter went ballistic - no reasoning with her. She followed them around the outside of the park, rocketing back and forth.
Even after they were gone, she was too wound up to be interested in the flirt pole.
My plan to deal with it is to spend time every day closer and closer to the dog park when there are dogs in it. I'll click and treat her for calm behavior like sitting and lying down. Eventually, I'll let her greet dogs through the bars of the fence, then inside with the leash, and someday, inside without the leash.

Does this sound like a viable plan? Or is it best to just let her in the dog park normally every day and hope she gets used to it?

Thanks in advance. I feel like I'm posting up a storm today :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will say that we used to take her to a larger dog park with lots of dogs, and when we were there she would usually behave ok inside the park (she only jumps all over the other dogs at our apartment dog park, I think because there's only ever 1-2 dogs in there).

We stopped taking her to the larger dog park about 1 month ago because this self-proclaimed trainer told us to. He said that she would pick up bad behaviors and get attacked by the other dogs due to her excitement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.