Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am an owner of a german shepherd and elkhound mix who is 5 months old now. I live in a very rural area and the only dog food that is being sold at local stores is kibble n bits or some no name brand. So as of right now the kibbles n bits is what I have been feeding him. I want him to be healthy and want him to have a healthy diet, but from reviews and such I am not sure if kibbles n bits is the right thing.

So I am wondering if anyone knows of any sites I can purchase a better and healthier brand for him? I live in rural quebec, canada, so it must be canadian or ship to canada.

Food recommendations are also appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hi @Kristie20 ! Welcome to DF!

Check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor for some dog food ratings. It's not perfect but it's a mostly reliable site.

I have my girl on Wellness CORE. She's done very well on it. I buy it on Amazon because I have a Prime membership so my shipping is free and they are generally less expensive then pet stores. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada. Some of our resident Canadians may be more help. @zoorun @Kwenami @Shandula

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Bonjour! I came across this site: Online Pet Store Canada-Buy Dog Food,Pet Toys,Cat Treats at PetOnly.ca Shipping to Quebec is free if you spend over 79 bucks, but there are additional charges to remote areas with these postal code prefixes: Quebec G0B, G0C, G0G, G0R G0W, G0X, J0M, J0S.

Wellness Core is a great brand, and I also like Fromm, Acana, and Orijen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much, I will check these out!

I'm fine with the extra costs if it means my boy will be eating healthier. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I'm not familiar with Quebec, but if you have a feed store around (ours sells horse and livestock stuff as well as plants) check there! I'm not sure what's available online in Canada, but do you have anywhere you can get President's Choice? I feed their dog food sometimes as well ("Nutrition First" is the one you want to go for) and it is WAY better than any other grocery store food.

As for Canadian brands off the top of my head there is Acana and Orijen (both made by Champion Pet foods), Horizon (I feed the Legacy formula), and Go! and Now Fresh (both made by Petcurean). I would suggest contacting the companies directly and see about if there is anyone in your area that has/orders it in. I basically feed the best food I can get my hands on at the time as I work all over the province and Alberta.

Another option is to feed a home cooked or raw diet- or partially one of these with a lower quality kibble. Can be pricey, and you have to do a lot of research but it might be worth it for you!

Like I said I live in rural BC, so it's likely very different here!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Hi @Kristie20 ! Welcome to DF!

Check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor for some dog food ratings. It's not perfect but it's a mostly reliable site.

I have my girl on Wellness CORE. She's done very well on it. I buy it on Amazon because I have a Prime membership so my shipping is free and they are generally less expensive then pet stores. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada. Some of our resident Canadians may be more help. @zoorun @Kwenami @Shandula
Typically, pet food online is about the same as in stores here, unfortunately. The US isn't able to ship things like dog food to Canada since we have different standards and food over the border makes things cost ineffective in general. But I have seen that brand in stores here if that's what you decide to go with :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts