Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned that rawhide is dangerous, but what about beef pizzle sticks? I just read they are dehydrated bull penises! A dog can scrape off a thin piece with lots of hard work.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
it depends on the size of the dog, the size of the stick, and how they chew. My boy is 11 lbs and I give him the 6 inch ones, depending on the thickness he can either finish them in 10 to 15 minutes or an hour. I've heard stories of dogs swallowing them whole, or swallowing large pieces, my own dog managed to swallow the last inch of one one time, the only reason I know he did it is that he threw it up the next morning practically undigested. Now when I give them to him I keep a close watch on him and if he seems like he's not considering swallowing the last part of it whole I'll trade him something for it.

The sticks work sort of like rawhide in that dogs do not scrape off bits of it like they do with cow hoofs, what they do is gnaw on it and it gets soft so that they can bite off a piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog is almost 10 pounds and a small one has lasted for 3 weeks with 90% left. I bought her a giant one just for fun and she likes it. You're right about how they eat it. I bought a salmon skin chew that seems as tough as titanium. She'll never eat it. I undid the knot at one end with a big pair of pliers but she chews and chews and isn't consuming it. Will have to look into hoofs and antlers maybe down the road...next year?

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I hadn't heard of salmon skin chews. I'll have to check it out.

I wish that the pizzles lasted Zody that long! I'm lucky if it last an hour or two and that's the thick ones.

My boy seems to be a cow hoof snob, he doesn't like the bulk hoofs, they are in pet stores in big bins, but loves the ones that are sold individually wrapped. Of course the ones individually wrapped cost more. He lost interest in the antlers I got him. The first one he chewed on for 5 hours, the one after that only a couple hours, and the last one he barely touched. I may try one more to see what happens (it's been a year since I last got him one), if he does not bother with it then I give up LOL.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My dog loves bully sticks! but don't give them to your pet if they have a tendency to swallow things whole instead of chewing - my girl's a good chewer lol. I also like yak sticks. Basically they're hardened cheese and once they get low you can microwave them and puff them up into a giant cheeto.

With any stick or chew, make sure to supervise your pet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yup, I give mine the pizzle sticks. I like the ones that are thick and braided. They last my pup, who is a good chewer, hours.
The dog also likes deer antlers and pig ears. She goes through pig ears pretty fast (like 20 minutes) and so I have to be careful because they are higher in calories.

I always supervise my dog with chews and only let her have them for short periods of time as a treat or a distraction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts