Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
I've been told I have a Pitbull/Terrier Boxer mix (unclear whether the rescue meant pitbull-terrier (American Staffordshire Terrier) or pitbull (AmStaff) + terrier).

Can anybody tell me if they think this mix will be a good running buddy? The dog characteristics that I can find for AmStaff and boxer have mixed results.

At 4 months old she has piles of energy but not super into walks, but will go for about 3 hours total of walks a day. She's more into greeting people and dogs. Loves to use a flirt pole but slow and lazy about chasing sticks.

I know I can't run with her until 8months-1 year, but any guesses on whether she will be a good runner? Is that trait breed specific or more about how we train her to like running and slowly build her up to running?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Be careful walking her that long. Even if it's not running it can overstress her joints at such a young age.

Second of all, I think your dog actually looks a lot more like a Beagle or hound dog than a Pit. Granted, this pic is at a funny angle but those colors/pattern are definitely Beagle-ish. Do you have any pictures of her upright? But they might know what her parents are, and sometimes dogs can look very different from their parents. Also, as someone who works in a shelter when "terrier" is with Pit Bull/Am Staff, 9 times out of 10 they do mean "Pit Bull Terrier" as one breed, not an additional terrier in there.

I think it's less "breed specific" and more "individual" in terms of wanting to be a running buddy. If she's energetic and enjoys walking and spending time with you then she'll probably be good. There's a chance she might end up being a couch potato, but who knows? Only time will tell. Either way any dog is lucky to have an owner that is willing to exercise them a lot!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are more pictures!

I will be careful on the walking. 3 hours was the max when we first got her (broken up into 4 segments) as she had a lot of unused energy and anxiety from the shelter. I'd say now we do 3-4 walks, 30-50 minutes long. Sometimes a walk is subbed for playing in the yard.

A lot of people see hound and beagle in her, especially beacuse she is beagle-sized right now. But guessing by the size of her paws at 4 months, she has a lot of growing to do. Mommy dog looks very pitbull-mix; should have saved her photo off of the rescue website (she's been adopted now so it's gone).

The pup likes to play and sprint. She does like her sleep though and is a slow mover in mornings. She doesn't adore walks. But she loves being with people.

Fingers crossed she will run with us. Any way to get her primed now (obviously not running)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Be careful walking her that long. Even if it's not running it can overstress her joints at such a young age.

Second of all, I think your dog actually looks a lot more like a Beagle or hound dog than a Pit. Granted, this pic is at a funny angle but those colors/pattern are definitely Beagle-ish. Do you have any pictures of her upright? But they might know what her parents are, and sometimes dogs can look very different from their parents. Also, as someone who works in a shelter when "terrier" is with Pit Bull/Am Staff, 9 times out of 10 they do mean "Pit Bull Terrier" as one breed, not an additional terrier in there.

I think it's less "breed specific" and more "individual" in terms of wanting to be a running buddy. If she's energetic and enjoys walking and spending time with you then she'll probably be good. There's a chance she might end up being a couch potato, but who knows? Only time will tell. Either way any dog is lucky to have an owner that is willing to exercise them a lot!
Her coloration alone is also quite typical of a terrier mix. Depends on the terrier breeds, of course, but I've seen plenty of show quality rat terriers with similar coloration/patterns.

I agree that whether or not a dog will be a good running buddy depends a lot on the individual dog. Pit bulls, terriers, and boxers are all known for being pretty high energy dogs, but that varies from dog to dog and I'm unsure of her actual breed mix. My guess is that she'll have plenty of energy for you, but only time will tell.

I also agree that three hours of structured walking on a pup her age is probably not a good idea. It is good to break up walks through the day, but you still need to watch the amount of time with a young puppy. Walks are good and necessary for teaching proper leash manners, socialization, pottying, stuff like that, but with puppies that young I much prefer to let them set the pace when it comes to exercise. Just because they'll haul butt around the yard doesn't mean that their joints are up to a lot of structured work!! I also would not consider leash running with her until AT LEAST a year old. This is generally a good age for starting smaller dogs as their joints are far more developed, but larger breeds grow more slowly and it can be over a year before they're fully developed. I gradually increased the duration of walk for my puppy when he was growing, but I didn't do ANY on leash running or biking until he was over a year old. It can be frustrating as an active person (was for me with a growing pup) but their joint health is more important!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Now that I get a good look at her skull and body structure I can definitely see the Pit in her. However I do think there's hound dog of some sort in there too. Even if it's not Beagle it might be Coonhound or something. Right now I think it would just be best to leash train her to walk next to you properly and keeping up with your pace. Other than that I'd wait for the intense running until she's older. But the foundations of learning to run beside you will be set then by the time she's ready to physically keep up with you.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
First off she's adorable! I know have a weak spot for tan points but either way she's cute.

I don't believe she has any Boxer at all. Boxers are never tan point. She is either pure (or mostly pure) Pit or Pit mix. Boxers never have a red nose either. I'm not sure why they would label her a Boxer mix as I don't see the physical features really even aside from color.

More than likely she will make a good running parter, at least from the sounds of it. It's very important to give exercise to keep energetic dogs happy. I start my young ones on flirtpole too. Also do walks, running and drag weight.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
please don't wlak her to long... +5mins per month of age is a great guideline.

Most healthy dogs will have no problem with keeping up with a running human. Dogs are much faster than humans.
with bully breeds, because they've got a shorter muzzle and no long hair to isolate against heat or cold, you've got to keep an eye on them so they don't overheat or have breathing problem though.
it is good to take a water bottle with you too.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It's always good to pay attention to your dog when doing physical activity, especially in the heat. Though I haven't noted the issues of over heating or not being able to breath as being typical.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's always good to pay attention to your dog when doing physical activity, especially in the heat. Though I haven't noted the issues of over heating or not being able to breath as being typical.
it depends on the dog.
better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I agree with that notion completely, but it should go for any dog. I'm only saying I've owned Pits a long time IME it isn't any higher of concern compared to other breeds. You have to consider this breed hunts hogs in high temps just fine.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If she IS a pit mix, yes, you'll have a good running partner when she's grown up they generally have lots of energy to burn.

The tricolor speaks to me of a foxhound or beagle though! Very clean pretty markings, she's a very striking dog. Foxhounds and coonhounds are good for energy too, and will probably also happily go on runs. Right now it's kind of comparable to asking your 5 year old to go jogging with you though, she's so young.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always carry water for my quarter bully breed puppy when we walk outside of the yard. Here in the Southern states of U.S. it gets hot and humid in the summer, so over heating is a possibility all around. I don't see Canada getting that bad, but it is good to bring water because you can get dehydrated in winter too.

Your puppy is so pretty. I just love her face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts