Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Unfortunately there has been another dog attack and it was a pitbull.... Let me share this story because I want opinions...

On fathers day here in Arizona a Hispanic family was having a party in their backyard and say a pit bull walked into their back yard and attacked a 3 year old boy, grabbing him by the head. The family members say they all started to fight the dog to get him off the child. The child had stitches in his head and his thumb. That night or the following day the police found the dog in an alley shot multiple times.

Here are my thoughts....it may come off harsh but I think in these situations its a possible reality....

I think its possible this is the family dog... I find it odd that having a 3 yr old in the backyard you would leave the gate open?
I think its also odd that a pit bull would enter a yard and unprovoked attack a child...even if this was a wandering animal I feel something must have happened to lead to the attack.
I think the fact that the dog was found with multiple bullet wounds is odd and even if it attacked it is still illegal to shoot to kill and not report. I have a feeling it is possible a family member followed/chased/tracked it down and shot it...maybe a family member not legally allowed to be here or own a gun... I am in AZ and this tends to be a popular issue in crimes sorry to say.

I think these are possibilities, either way a child was hurt and now is going through a series of rabies shots, dog is being tested for rabies, and dog was shot and not reported which in itself is illegal.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
They claim a wierd stray dog came into a party full of people and grabbed a random kid?

I call BS

this was the familys dog and it was overwhelmed by all the commotion and kids.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well, they are either BSing, or are extremely stupid to leave a gate open with a 3 year old in the yard, but still, I don't see why the dog would attack, unless the child provoked him, in which case it's the parents' fault for not looking after their kid.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they are either BSing, or are extremely stupid to leave a gate open with a 3 year old in the yard, but still, I don't see why the dog would attack, unless the child provoked him, in which case it's the parents' fault for not looking after their kid.
This is exactly what I was thinking, why would a dog randomly attack? It really doesn't happen that often at all unless you are approaching them in a corner or enter THEIR yard...at least I have never heard of a dog wandering into a yard and just jumping on someone... I think its possible the child grabbed the dog or even screamed or something...many dogs are scared of children because of their high pitched noises. TY for your opinion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dogs don't randomly attack humans unless they were abused badly by one, or have a mental illness. A 3 year old should never be left unattended, regardless of dogs around. Kids can be a big pain in the ass for dogs, when I first got Lucky, my young cousins always annoyed her with grabbing her tail and ears, and screaming and...well, you know how kids are, and it scared her a lot, now she's used to them though, which is quite cool but I'd still not leave her alone with young kids (4, 6 and 9)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
It is possible that the dog belonged to someone else who was afraid to claim responsibility, a neighbor or something. It all amounts to the same thing, now the evil Pit bulls are such scary monsters that they just wander around looking for children to attack.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why would a stray dog go into a backyard with a whooooleee bunch of people, he would of stayed clear for that. And why go for the 3 year old first ?
Plus, if they were smart, they would have glosed the gate, three year olds wander, so if the dog wouldn't have gotten to him/her he would have probably made it down the block before anyone would have noticed and who knows what could of happend then.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the parents are at fault one way or another and agree the gate should have been closed. That is like turning your back on a 3 yr old in a pool. You act irresponsible then bad things happen and unfortunately it was a child who had to prove that point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wait i just read the original post again. there is no mention of a gate, so its possible they didn't have a fenced in backyard

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wait i just read the original post again. there is no mention of a gate, so its possible they didn't have a fenced in backyard
I did not put that in the post? the mother said "the gate was open (probably for people to come through to the backyard) and the dog came through" all the homes here in the valley are fenced with an entry gate. They showed the neighborhood and it was a typical az neighborhood.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think they over-reacted just because it was a pitbull, like, tried to taunt it to go away and it ended in self defense, something like that. Thats was usually happens around here and Im sick of it :/

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did not put that in the post? the mother said "the gate was open (probably for people to come through to the backyard) and the dog came through" all the homes here in the valley are fenced with an entry gate. They showed the neighborhood and it was a typical az neighborhood.
But still, if they have a toddler, you keep the gate closed and people open it themselves. :p
I think the parents need parenting classes.. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it wasn't the dog, the child may have ran out and then who knows what could of happend... so either way.. they should have kept it closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts