Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 3 yr old pitbull Max. He is suffering from some kind of skin problem. He is scratching and licking it alot . I consulted vet he give him antibiotics and medical shampoo but nothing seems working. Some adviced me to change his food. Before this problem I gave him milk + Wheat Bread ( Roti) + Some time rice + Dog food one time. So some persons told me stop giving him cow Milk . So I stopped giving him milk but problem remain same sometime it goes away for few days but comes back.
Please suggest me what should I do .

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would ask the vet to shave the area so you can get a better look.

I'm not a vet so take this for what it's worth.

In my experience, the usual suspects in cases like this are allergies, parasites and other irritants like chemicals or poisons. Since you've been giving your dog human food I would put him on dog food for now if you can.

The picture looks reminiscent to me of mange, which is a parasitic infection. Your vet can make a diagnosis of that by taking a skin sample and looking at it under a microscope.

Remember, I'm not a vet, so take this advice with a grain (or kg) of salt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would ask the vet to shave the area so you can get a better look.

I'm not a vet so take this for what it's worth.

In my experience, the usual suspects in cases like this are allergies, parasites and other irritants like chemicals or poisons. Since you've been giving your dog human food I would put him on dog food for now if you can.

The picture looks reminiscent to me of mange, which is a parasitic infection. Your vet can make a diagnosis of that by taking a skin sample and looking at it under a microscope.

Remember, I'm not a vet, so take this advice with a grain (or kg) of salt.
Is it mostly around his neck/collar area? Or is it elsewhere? Around eyes/feet? Above the base of his tail? How old is he?
No it is just above the base of his tail. And 2 3 pimples around neck. He is 3 yr old.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Put him onto a proper dog food and avoid anything with grains/ wheat / corn or rice. All of these products can cause skin allergies, and they are very difficult for our dogs to digest.
Try a grain free dog food or better still put him onto a Raw meat diet.
(milk is of no beneficial use to your chap).
What ever grain free product you may choose, you must give your chap time to adjust before results are noticed .
A better quality diet will do him no harm (meat based is best) and it may help with his problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put him onto a proper dog food and avoid anything with grains/ wheat / corn or rice. All of these products can cause skin allergies, and they are very difficult for our dogs to digest.
Try a grain free dog food or better still put him onto a Raw meat diet.
(milk is of no beneficial use to your chap).
What ever grain free product you may choose, you must give your chap time to adjust before results are noticed .
A better quality diet will do him no harm (meat based is best) and it may help with his problem.
Thanks I will try this for 15 days and observe the results.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you are going to do an 'elimination food trial' - to try to determine if his issues are food related, choose a food that is as basic as possible, a limited ingredient diet, with a single meat protein source that your dog is not eating right now. Note that chicken is a common protein that dogs have issues with, so if you are going to use a food that is not chicken protein based, read the ingredients carefully - many dog foods do contain chicken fat (or 'animal fat' which may or may not include chicken) and you don't want that.

Once you have chosen a new food, that is the only food your dog can have for 8-12 weeks. No people food, no treats other than those that contain the same ingredients as the new food you are feeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are going to do an 'elimination food trial' - to try to determine if his issues are food related, choose a food that is as basic as possible, a limited ingredient diet, with a single meat protein source that your dog is not eating right now. Note that chicken is a common protein that dogs have issues with, so if you are going to use a food that is not chicken protein based, read the ingredients carefully - many dog foods do contain chicken fat (or 'animal fat' which may or may not include chicken) and you don't want that.

Once you have chosen a new food, that is the only food your dog can have for 8-12 weeks. No people food, no treats other than those that contain the same ingredients as the new food you are feeding.
Thanks I will use your advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts