Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is 16 weeks old. I got all the vaccines and tick/flea/heartworm stuff done. I feed her very good quality dog food and all of her stools were very solid and she seemed to be doing great until 3 days ago

I suspect part of the problem is we were giving her way too much dairy - we were giving her whipped cream all the time. Also I was putting some coconut oil in all of her meals. Well I stopped doing that and she's still having diarrhea - it doesn't seem to be getting any better

What should I do? Could she have caught some kind of parasite? I watch her like a hawk - I'm either playing with her or I put her in the cage. She doesn't eat anything without me watching her and I haven't seen her eat any garbage or anything. I'm gonna start feeding her bland food (rice and chicken) starting tomorrow. Anything else you guys recommend?

·
Registered
487 Posts
She is 16 weeks old. I got all the vaccines and tick/flea/heartworm stuff done. I feed her very good quality dog food and all of her stools were very solid and she seemed to be doing great until 3 days ago

I suspect part of the problem is we were giving her way too much dairy - we were giving her whipped cream all the time. Also I was putting some coconut oil in all of her meals. Well I stopped doing that and she's still having diarrhea - it doesn't seem to be getting any better

What should I do? Could she have caught some kind of parasite? I watch her like a hawk - I'm either playing with her or I put her in the cage. She doesn't eat anything without me watching her and I haven't seen her eat any garbage or anything. I'm gonna start feeding her bland food (rice and chicken) starting tomorrow. Anything else you guys recommend?
Start dog pro and prebiotics with the chicken and rice.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
That's not unusual after chicken and rice, basically she draws so much nutrients from chicken and rice that there isn't enough waste to stimulate the muscles to push out poo (I wish somebody had told me that before he time I took my dog to the vet and relieved me of a consultation fee to tell me the dog wasn't in fact constipated) .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not unusual after chicken and rice, basically she draws so much nutrients from chicken and rice that there isn't enough waste to stimulate the muscles to push out poo (I wish somebody had told me that before he time I took my dog to the vet and relieved me of a consultation fee to tell me the dog wasn't in fact constipated) .
I took her to vet on Monday and they said she seemed great. They asked me to bring a stool sample if she kept having diarrhea

What makes me doubt that she has a bug is she is in great spirits. Eats very well, plays hard, no vomit, nothing

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a small amount of dog food along with rice and chicken, still hasn't pooped in a day and a half

probably a good sign right? If she kept having diarrhea, it would have come out like that

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. Environmental causes: Your dog's habitat change causes excessive stress. For example, dogs are stressed due to housing changes, or weather changes ...

2. Cause of food: Dogs eat spoiled food, or non-dog foods lead to poisoning. Another reason is that the dog eats food that cannot be digested, so the dog has diarrhea.

Although dogs can chew on bones, you need to minimize chewing or swallowing small bones like chicken or fish bones. Sudden changes in diet or food intake can also be a causative agent.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would recommend stopping all the whipped cream and coconut oil, that seems like to much for a pup. If that doesn't stop it within a day or two I'd suggest speaking with your vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts