Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know what you think about pit bulls.... do you love them, hate them or fear them?
Personally, I love them and think they are getting such bad treatment around the world. Been seeing pits killed in mass numbers and it's making me quite sick. :mad:
This was the original nanny dog, trusted to protect and watch over small children. Sadly, the strength and endurance of this dog breed was abused by people and now the dog is being put to death and labeled as dangerous all over the world.
In Denver you are not allowed to have a pitbull within the city limits and many other places are like that.
In the US Military, those living on base housing were ordered to get rid of their pitbulls, even a mixed breed if it had pit bull resemblance. :confused: :mad:

Funny thing, most dog bites are from smaller dogs, not so much publicized because the damage is minimal.
Some people don't want to be in the same room with a pitbull and many flights even ban them as they are so feared.
Pitts are such loving dogs, do YOU love them or fear them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Iv been told by a number of people my bitch is a pittbull, don't get me wrong she's fierry and very persessive over me but she's so soft to me and people she don't feel threatened by, just like all dogs they have a liking to certain people but not others, basicly I truely believe its how the pittbull is brought up, give it love and it will be a friendly family member give it abuse and it will switch on whoever, whenever, the thought of pittbulls being used for fighting hurts me deeply, look after our pittbulls, give them the love they diserve and they'll be a best friend you can trust forever.

·
Registered
892 Posts
One came up to me a couple of weeks ago for a stroke and it's the first time I've handled one. It was a random stranger's dog - who did check it was okay before he let the dog approach me. It was a sweet little thing.

I'm slightly wary though. They have huge jaws for such small dogs.:eek:

So, to answer, neither love nor fear, just a wary respect and slight affection.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I love 'em! A dog is a dog, either way. Pit Bull or Lab, same thing. Pit Bull or Doxie, same thing. I love any kind of dog, it doesn't matter what kind it is, it's a dog.

But the kind i dog i love the most, is a Collie! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow...I have met a few very sweet pitbulls and a few very SCARY pitbulls. When I was in elementary school, one of the girls brought her pitbull momma and very young pups and those pups were handled by the entire class and mom just walked around following us and licking us and pups. But, I did stay at the owner's house and stayed with night with her daughter. The male was literally chained to the fireplace and I remember I had to stay out of reach to get to the bathroom. Two very different pitbulls!

I know that pitbulls are a very powerful breed and what scares me that if they decide to bite, it will be a very serious one. That is simply because of their power and strength. I don't want to own a dog that is stronger and more powerful than me.

I think it takes a very special person to own a pitbull and I applaud you for it. Honestly, I think it takes a certain owner to own any dominant breed for that matter. I'm afraid I'm not that type of owner. :eek:

I will say that I was searching the web and there is so much HATE propaganda against Pitbulls. I also see that there are some sites dedicated to loving pitbulls and their positive qualities. I checked out the Temperament Testing Site and they give a very HIGH success rate for Pitbulls. I think that is [email protected]!

:D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Both. My parents had a boxer/pb mix that was the sweetest dog. Where I live there are idiots who mistreat and train them to be vicious as part of their macho image. Others train them to be the lovable family dog. Love the dogs, don't care for all the owners.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I don't like pit bulls.

When people say they have a "pit bull", they're usually referring to the breed of dog they have but they don't know what they're actually saying. To some (like me), it infers that they have a fighting dog (or a rescue) and that's 99% of the time not the case.

Pit bulls refer to breeds of dogs (Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, other breeds & mixes) that were raised and trained to fight. If you say you have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - that's totally different from saying you have a "pit bull". I've met a couple really awesome & beautiful Staffies - unfortunately, these dogs are often the ones used as "pit bulls".

If you don't want people to get confused about your dog, stop referring to it as something it's not.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's one reason I always refer to my dog as an APBT, American Pit Bull Terrier. When someone says they have a pit bull, that's what I automatically assume, they have an APBT. Just because someone has one of these dogs doesn't mean that they fight them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Im neutral on them.

Altough there is no such breed called a pitbull. Im just going to assume you mean the 3 breeds that are called a pitbull by media

I dont love, nore do i hate them.

They are not a breed i would own. Due to DA/DR I want to always avoid. Not to mention they are banned here.

I feel as if they have a bad rap from idiots. they are sweet dogs to their humans and strangers. a breed bred for non human agression.

I know quite a few. Who are all very sweet, good dogs. I meet quite a few at work too, and well it is quite a stressful place for a first meetig (dog grooming shop. So VERY noisy, lots of dogs, people, phones ringing off the hook ect ect) they have always been so well behaved.

So no I dont hate them, or any other breed. Nore do i love them either. I dont love many breeds lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not afraid of them, with people. My neighborhood is full of them, all owned by idiots, but yet they are all still wonderful with people. Other dogs on the other hand? Not so much. Everytime I walk out that front door with Luke it's a game of "which dog is gonna try to attack him today". Half of the dogs down here are running loose...so it's a bad situation. Now,if I'm alone? I'm the first one to get right down on the ground and play with them. I'm the "dog lady", the one with treats, they're always askign me to help train their dogs to do what Luke does lol. I have no fear in my mind "oh there's a loose pit/staffie,whatever breed, I gotta get out of here." I'd much rather face them than a loose mastiff let's put it that way. And mastiff's are my breed!LOL BUT....when I have Luke with me, noooo way am I stopping to chat.
The more I meet, the more I like their personalities. Again, with people. I would have to be living in a place where I didn't have to worry about encountering dogs every day in order to ever have one I think. Dog aggression is just something that isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it depends how they were brought up. I had a american pitbull named athena and she was very sweet, so loving, cute as ever!, friendly to all, very alert though. It's how your dog see's u also. If you the ''alpha'' but also its best friend they'll protect you with there life. So i would definitly say love em. Fear them? Well that depends again how it was brought up. But i think with any aggr

·
Registered
385 Posts
it depends how they were brought up.
I think that statement does a lot of disservice to a lot of dogs in this world, of all breeds. Because at the end of the day, it is not JUST how they are brought up. There is a lot more to a dog than training. Genetics plays a much bigger part in my opinion.

There are far too many people bringing powerful breeds into their homes because they're being convinced that as long as they raise them and train them properly the dog will not have any issues like dog aggression, when it simply isn't true. Many of these people just aren't the right type of owner to deal with issues if they DO crop up. Bull breed dogs are genetically predisposed to be dog aggressive. And that isn't neccessarily a fault...but it IS something that a responsible owner of such a breed must accept and manage if they want to protect both their beloved friend as well as the public.
There are MANY dogs who's owners have and do make the same claim as you...owners of multiple dogs who've lived in the same home, been best of friends, loved going to dog parks and making new dog friends daily, who all of the sudden, one day find their dog in a serious fight that in some cases, leads to severe injuries or death. The owner is left shaking their head, wondering "where did that come from, they've never done that before". Many of those dogs were trained wonderfully. Many had GREAT owners. This is why I really hate seeing owners make claims like "My dog would NEVER..." So many are proven wrong at least once in the dog's life.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe it's how they're brought up, not on genetics. I love 'em, if they're mean, they were raised that way. The ones that are brought up nicely are wonderful pets, but if you train them to be mean, it's a whole diferent thing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
So are you saying that any dog that has issues with other animals has them because they were trained to be that way? Seriously? If genetics and breed traits don't matter...then I guess breeds are totally purposeless. After all, if that's the case then as long as herding breeds are trained well they won't retain the desire to herd. Guardian breeds will lose their guardian traits. Retrievers will all of the sudden stop wanting to retrieve because their owners trained them that way. Sorry, that's not logical and it's not true. Ask any REPUTABLE bull breed rescue or breeder and they will tell you flat out, if you can't handle the possibility of your dog being aggressive with other animals then you have no buisness getting that breed of dog. Period. Are some loving and great with other pets and dogs their entire lives? Yes...just as some Border Collies aren't obsessed with herding and might not need the HOURS of exercise the majority does. But ignoring breed traits and genetic imprints when choosing ANY dog is dangerous and naive.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.