Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my old dog, who died tragically at just under two years almost 5 years ago. I really do not want to go into the details here. They hurt to type. I posted them on the thread about guilt on the general chat forum, if anyone's extremely curious.
Here is a little bit of his story, we got him from the shelter when he was 9 months old w/ almost full backstory, including photos and letters from his original owner. He came from a litter of registered Australian Shepherds, and clearly, he is not one. Obviously, since an Aussie bitch whelped him, he is half. We feel fairly confident based on his looks, behaviour, and the extreme overpopulation of Coyotes we have in this area, that he was half Coyote.
He was an immensely difficult dog for many reasons, rather wild and hard to train, but extremely attached to his people (VERY SEVERE separation anxiety), very standoffish w/ other dogs.
I know it looks like he could've be half German Shepherd as well, but to rule this out I did liberal research online into breeders that breed both GSDs and Aussies in my state, and found literally nothing.
I've done some research on Coydogs, and I really think he was one. What do you think?
Here is a photo of him. He is over a year old in this photo, no puppy ears, his ears really were just THAT big. He was about 75lbs full-grown at a healthy weight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ I was thinking the colour may have come from the Aussie side, as they come in a similar colour, but I'm not to sure. Posters on my other thread in the general chat forum have got me thinking he may have just been a GSD mix. He did have some big ol' ears though!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
He really doesn't look anything like a Coydog. But he looks lovely. :)

Very handsome.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm more convinced now he was some kind of GSD/Aussie mutt. As I posted on my other thread, I think that the longer he's been gone, the more I build him up in my head, making him into something he really wasn't. Kind of silly of me. Oh well. He was a good boy though. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.