Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I posted a while back that I had adopted a Plotthound who was being extremely picky with her food. After MUCH trial and error, she was consistently eating her meals and subsequently gaining weight, you could no longer see her ribs and she actually looked healthy, her coat was shiny and soft. However in the past month or so, her picky eating habits have returned. She is back to turning her nose up at food bowl, and when I put toppers on her food she licks it off the kibble and then spits the kibble out. Some days she won't eat at all, maybe a bite or two, but nothing sufficient enough to fuel her 2 hour off leash walks and our afternoon run. It's extremely frustrating to see her losing weight again when she was doing so well, does anyone have any tips on how to get her back on track--she needs to gain about 5 pounds to be a healthy weight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your picky eater. I’ve had a few picky dogs and it is really challenging. Has yours been to the vet? I always thinks its a good idea to discuss with your vet to rule out any underlying medical issues. My old Sheltie hated to eat, he would actually go days with out eating if he didn’t like something, so our vet recommended blending up goldfish or some kind of cheesy cracker and mixing it with our dogs food. We usually put about 1-2 tbsp on his food and then wetted this food a little. This usually did the trick into getting him to eat. We didn’t do this every day but only when we really needed him to eat. Best of luck and keep us updated

1 - 2 of 2 Posts