Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old pup has recently become "picky", when I put her food down she will not always eat it, but she will have a taste of the cats when she gets the opportunity.

Yesterday I put her breakfast down and when I came home that evening it was still sitting there, this was also the case today.

I've read any uneaten food should be removed after 10 minutes. I want to try this at dinner but unsure if I'm supposed to offer it again at a later time interval, or am I supposed to put it away until breakfast?

Does anyone do this with her dog's food?
I don't want her to starve.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
For starters, I'd make sure she absolutely doesn't have access to the cats' food. It won't work if she's able to just eat theirs instead.

To answer your question, yes, I do this with my dogs. I have three dogs: my Cocker mix is a food hound so he eats in a separate room, and my other two (my terrier in particular) are slow, finicky eaters. They're given about 10 minutes to eat and if they don't I pick up the bowls and let my Cocker out.

Unfortunately, during the day they're really given all day to eat because my Cocker has to be kept in a separate room when I'm gone so I just feed right before I leave.

In your case, it would work best if you just did it every single mealtime. Put the food down for 10 minutes, pick up what your dog doesn't eat and offer food again at the next mealtime.

But honestly unless you had a real reason for wanting her to eat at an interval (multiple dogs, afraid the cats will eat the food, etc.) it really wouldn't hurt to measure out a meal's worth of food and then allow her to graze on it if she wants to.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Definantly put it down for long enough for her to eat it. If if it's not eaten after than time (10 min. is reasonable), then she probably isn't going to. Take it up, offer it again at the next meal time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a grazer. She's been an only pet (well besides ducks) for many years. I think it'd be a bit cruel to give her only 10 minutes to eat once a day...while that works for many dogs, I think it also encourages binge feeding in dogs that don't already display that characteristic. I've had dogs that will eat themselves silly so they do get fed 2x a day...but free feeding is ok, too, as long as you can keep the cat's food out of the way.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Lots of dogs, probably most eat once maybe twice a day, assuming they aren't young puppies. Its not cruel, especially when they are the ones refusing to eat. Obviously not hungry.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lots of dogs, probably most eat once maybe twice a day, assuming they aren't young puppies. Its not cruel, especially when they are the ones refusing to eat. Obviously not hungry.
Or, like some people they don't like to eat a full meal. Dogs have preferences as far as meal times, too. Just because they don't gorge don't mean they don't have hunger. Some dogs prefer to eat several times a day in very small quantities. Starving a dog to get them to behave the way you want to is not really all that nice.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Or, like some people they don't like to eat a full meal. Dogs have preferences as far as meal times, too. Just because they don't gorge don't mean they don't have hunger. Some dogs prefer to eat several times a day in very small quantities. Starving a dog to get them to behave the way you want to is not really all that nice.
Its not starving them them when you offer, and they choose not to eat. If they aren't eating it all, then feed less at a time. No one said anything about gorging. Just normal meals.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I allow my dog access to both food and water throughout the day and she eats when she feels hungry. My dog is an only dog too atm. Of course, it is by preference but I don't seem any harm in leaving it out for her to graze on throughout the day.. but its totally up to you!

I am the type of person who prefers to snack throughout the day than eat large meals (as I feel it is healthy for the body to break down in small portions vs. large meals at one time-and this is suggested by most doctors for people with diabetes) and so I think this would be just the same for dogs. Just a thought!

Reactions: MarleyGrace

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a grazer. She's been an only pet (well besides ducks) for many years. I think it'd be a bit cruel to give her only 10 minutes to eat once a day...while that works for many dogs, I think it also encourages binge feeding in dogs that don't already display that characteristic. I've had dogs that will eat themselves silly so they do get fed 2x a day...but free feeding is ok, too, as long as you can keep the cat's food out of the way.
My two pups get free fed. They graze so this is best for them. I couldn't see making them eat in a certain time frame when they do not over eat. Also, then I would have to worry about them not eating enough. They eat what they want/need at that time and walk away. My vet says this is fine/good for them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I allow my dog access to both food and water throughout the day and she eats when she feels hungry. My dog is an only dog too atm. Of course, it is by preference but I don't seem any harm in leaving it out for her to graze on throughout the day.. but its totally up to you!

I am the type of person who prefers to snack throughout the day than eat large meals (as I feel it is healthy for the body to break down in small portions vs. large meals at one time-and this is suggested by most doctors for people with diabetes) and so I think this would be just the same for dogs. Just a thought!
Same in my home and we have two pups. :)

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Silly question, but how much exercise does your dog get? Working up an appetite?

Yesterday morning, the dog wouldn't eat, bit of upset tummy. Let it be all day, offered supper, still nothing. Ok you little bugger, off to the dog park, good round of exercise will always get him feeling better.

Local park is a 5 km loop, then in and out of the woods to get him hunting for mice is good for mental exercise. He was starved by the time he got home by 8.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Personally, my dog has never eaten 'meals'. If given the opportunity, she'll definitely eat the cats food or poop, so those are blocked off. She's the only dog so I decided to free feed her. It works well for us. If I get a second dog, I'll need to rethink.

I really think it depends on the dog. JMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts