Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I have a 10-11 lb Terrier. After she's spayed, she will be on crate rest for 7-10 days with restrictions on running, stairs, jumping, etc.

What is the safest way to actually pick her up, so as not to cause pain or damage to her spay incision site?

Right now I tend to pick her up a little back from her front arm pits and then carry her in one crooked elbow like a football. But I don't want to hurt her at all or cause any problems. We have stairs that will have to be traversed in the house, and I will use a carrier whenever possible but will still need to pick her up.

Just wondered how other folks with small female dogs handled this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Definitely support her back end so her legs don't hang down and stretch the belly area. You can walk her on leash for potty breaks and also if you do not want her crated that much, just put a leash on her in the house to keep her from jumping up on things when you are there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! It's EXTREMELY hard to keep her from jumping - having a leash on her does no good at all in terms of deterring her. We're working on "calm" and "sit" with a stay to get her to settle down, but she jumps. And that is a problem because she's already on mandatory crate rest for a sprained knee, so she shouldn't be jumping at all. Adding the spay surgery in will make it even more important that I control her, so I'm more than a little concerned about it. She's a 6-mo-old puppy with tons of happy energy. So we're going to do the best we can.

Anyway, I knew I would need to modify the way I hold her after her spay surgery, so I want to start practicing it now so I won't instinctively go to pick her up the way I have been and possibly hurt her. And I hope to mostly carry her by getting her into her carrier crate and then hoisting that up and down the inside flight of stairs.

Thanks, everyone! I will start practicing the new carry.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
oh you got a new puppy?!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Yup one hand under chest, one under butt. Just avoid putting any pressure on the suture area, and try not to hold or pick her up in a way that'll stretch her and pull at the sutures. It'll get more comfortable for her as time goes on. She'll be more tender the first couple days after you bring her home.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@crazy, yep! I got a little Norwich Terrier who's the best little pup ever except for this awful 2-months crate rest she's on now for twisting her knee so badly when she misjudged a porch step. Here's a pic of her and Cobber who's 2.5 years old now!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1439635702.684381.jpg

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@crazy, yep! I got a little Norwich Terrier who's the best little pup ever except for this awful 2-months crate rest she's on now for twisting her knee so badly when she misjudged a porch step. Here's a pic of her and Cobber who's 2.5 years old now!

View attachment 157866
OMG i can see the australian terrier in Jessie now i seen that pic with cobber in it and your new pup is georgeous they both are georgeous! will post pics of jessie soon in general or dog pics section.Where do i see cobber in Jessie? the coat on her back, the body shape and the coat length. not tail as such though but her personality i swear is terrier not shih tzu lol. how is the new pup doing now? ouch thats terrible :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts