Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get another puppy within the next 2 years, and have been debating over 2 very different breeds. So I thought I would come here, to see if anyone who has owned them, either in the past, or still owns one, could tell me some pros and cons they have personally had experiences with.

I am debating over a Siberian Husky or British Style Golden Retriever (not the american style)

I love both breeds, and currently own a 1/2 husky mix. My family also has a golden retriever, and lab x retriever mixes. My childhood dog was a lab x golden retriever, but have never owned an old British style one. I do however, like the build and look of the "English Cream" ones better, along with the almost white coloring of majority of them.

Pictures would also be great! I am interested in hearing your stories and experiences!

Here is a picture of my current dog, Keeno, a husky x collie mix. He is 1 year old now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have not owned either, but I would be concerned with cancer in the golden. Which I'm sure you're already familiar with since your family owns them. When my past dog was getting treated for cancer, I swear, about half of the dogs coming in for treatment were goldens.

Your dog is so handsome!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your dogs is really pretty. I haven't owned a golden nor a husky, so can't help ya there. I've owned collies and love them. Have two mutts right now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My sister owns a husky. First thing she did was crate training. Very stubborn and hyper! She always says "one is enough!" So be prepared for a real handful with a husky. They're too smart to blindly obey

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
The first thing you want to do when deciding on a breed is evaluate what you want in a dog. What are your goals? What would you like to do with the dog?

Do you want to go hiking and allow your dog off leash? Husky probably wouldn't be a good dog for you
Do you want to compete in Obedience? Husky probably isn't the best dog for you either.
Want a high energy dog that's going to be able to keep up with your long distance running? Husky might be a good choice for you.

Both breeds you have listened are very different. Goldens (as you know from having them) can be very aloof, friendly, and hyper active but are usually very trainable and loyal. Huskys are very intelligent, stubborn, hyper active dogs that can be very hard headed and usually aren't very loyal. Goldens usually love meeting new people, while huskys tend to be happier alone or with their family. Of course every dog is different, these are just generalizations about the breeds.

I usually recommend people to sit down and actually write down what you want in a dog. Don't let looks deceive you, sometimes the dog that's best for you isn't the dog you would initially be drawn to.

Also, your dog is beautiful! You must have to brush and vacuum a TON!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments on my dog! Keeno is a very loyal and loving dog. He is one of the best dogs I have ever owned. Yes, I do have to brush him a lot, and vacuuming is done on a daily basis, but that is a small price to pay to have such a great dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.