Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spend most of our time in the basement. Most of the basement (the area we hang out in) is carpeted. It's nothing super fluffy that you could lose stuff in, it's one of those tightly knit/wound ones that is basically a cushion for the cement floor 1 inch below.

Since we spend most of our time there, our dogs do too. One of them, our newest-9 month old Chuhuahua has started ripping up strips of carpet. By strips, I don't mean down to the cement strip, but enough that it goes down to the bottom layers of the carpet with that plastic lining. It is incredibly difficult to catch him in the act and every time I think I have, he's chewing on a plastic bone and not pulling up the carpet. What is a good deterrent for this behavior when it is so hard to catch him in the act?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Management - cover the area's he's pulled up with furniture pieces or by taping down the carpet.

When you can supervise him - do so. When you can't, it may be better to put him in a crate or leash him to you.

If you're not catching him in the act, then prevention is your only training tool right now. I would also assume he's probably bored, so try getting him some more interactive toys for 'quiet time' like a ball that you fill with kibble or treats and he has to roll it around to get the food out. I would also make sure he's getting adequate exercise outside of the house.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Covering up might be our best option. I've been trying to police him, or when I hear what sounds like carpet coming up I look over but it's just him gnawing on a plastic bone. I just hate the loose strings he creates (I try to cut them loose as close to the carpet as possible so he isn't any more tempted to pull on it) and the subsequent holes. Covering just seems like a band aid but really, one of the more viable solutions.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Covering up might be our best option. I've been trying to police him, or when I hear what sounds like carpet coming up I look over but it's just him gnawing on a plastic bone. I just hate the loose strings he creates (I try to cut them loose as close to the carpet as possible so he isn't any more tempted to pull on it) and the subsequent holes. Covering just seems like a band aid but really, one of the more viable solutions.
But it's not, really. You're preventing him from practicing undesirable behaviors while you teach him what you do want. Make sure he's getting adequate mental and physical exercise (BostonBullMama had great suggestions), reinforce for chewing / playing with appropriate toys, and eventually he'll forget about the carpet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But it's not, really. You're preventing him from practicing undesirable behaviors while you teach him what you do want. Make sure he's getting adequate mental and physical exercise (BostonBullMama had great suggestions), reinforce for chewing / playing with appropriate toys, and eventually he'll forget about the carpet.
Rug on carpet seems weird to me, and I think that is part of it. Another part has me wondering what will stop him from tearing at the rug? Is it a "better the rug than the carpet" situation? Our Pit is usually a good source of entertainment for him whether he wants to be or not (sometimes, the relationship has a "hurts so good" appearance). Other times, he appears to be successful at occupying himself with a given toy.

At 9-10 months old, he seems like a child with ADD so I haven't determined a good way to accomplish some exercise outside of taking a walk. Parts of our yard still seem new to him even though it's been a month, but he routinely stops to look, smell, explore, and try to mark...or yip (he's a chihuahua, it's not a "bark") at the neighbors. The humans he's familiar with are not nearly as exciting as the rest of the world when he's in the yard so fetch or chase are short lived. When our Pit is out with him, they occupy each other plenty though. Our Pit hasn't been very fond of our heat wave though. Pretty much refused to leave the house yesterday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.