Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this. The last line of this post is a summary of the rest.

I'm moving into a 460 sq ft basement space in a 3 bedroom apartment with a separate entrance and its own entrance to a medium-sized backyard shared with the neighboring unit.

Because of the relatively big space (bigger than most NYC apartments I've encountered) and because of the backyard for the pup to run around in, I figured this would be a good moment in my life to get a dog.

I work from home so I will be able to spend a lot of time with the dog. I'm decently active and think I could keep with a dog on the higher end of the activity scale.

I wanted something ideally medium sized, and I have a soft spot for Spitz type dogs (although willing to consider other options).

The two breeds I've been particularly found of have been the American Eskimo Dog and Shiba Inu, but I'm worried they might be too chaotic of a breed to live in an apartment, even if it is spacious (aka they will tear apart stuff in the basement if they are unhappy with the space or frustrated).

ULTIMATELY:
Just wondering what are good, medium-sized dog breeds, preferably Spitz, for a large apartment space with backyard access.

Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have a Shiba Inu (he's turning 13 this year) and he's been great with apartment living. Though Shiba Inus are not recommended for first time dog owners Keiko was my first dog. I might have lucked out with his temperament though because he is pretty mellow. I have met some pretty high strung Shibas, I'm not sure if it's because of lack of exercise and/or obedience or something else.

A few things to remember about this breed:
- they are very independent. Some like to cuddle, others do not. (mine doesn't). They are called the cats of the dog world because they can be very aloof. Generally if you're looking for a velcro-dog, Shiba Inus are not for you.
- they are escape artists. It took a while to train mine not to run out the door as soon as it opened
- they can be very stubborn. Lots of training and consistency is key.

They are very quick learners, mine was very food motivated so he learned a lot of tricks and walked very well on leash as a puppy (I got him at 2 months).

More and more Shibas are showing up in shelters (since their popularity has grown quite quickly in the last several years) because people don't realize how much work they need. They just see that cute fox like puppy face and fluffy curly tail. Are you looking to get from a breeder or shelter?

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a Shiba, but just something to think about.

Note: how high is the fence in the backyard? I would not leave the dog unsupervised if left in the yard. They will find a way to escape. (Speaking from experience lol)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I forgot to add:
- they shed A LOT. Be ready to have fur EVERYWHERE. On your clothes, in your food, in your mouth. Seriously. I've pulled random little white hairs from my mouth, in my meals and after a while (as gross as it may sound) it's become so normal and I just pick it out and continue on with my day lol
- because of their undercoat you will need to invest in a good brush. I have to brush my Shiba almost every week just so I don't end up with tumblefurs around my apartment.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Look into Keeshonds! Sweet, friendly and lively dogs! My friend has one and what a lover he is!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts