Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New here :)

We purchased a one year old white German Shepherd female dog about nine weeks ago. She has settled in wonderfully and loves "farm dog life" here. She is indoor/outdoor.

She was on IAMS large breed dog food, two weeks ago I started to switch her over to Chicken Soup large breed, shes getting about half and half right now until the IAMS runs out.

Enough background I think....

Dakota usually comes with us everywhere, she loves to be right with us at all times. Some times she is tied out on a dog run by the back porch when we leave for a few hours and prefer not to take 80 pounds of hair with us - she has always done fine. She doesn't act stressed, she does not bark, chew or pace etc, just enjoys her toys and the sunshine. This past week she has been tied out twice for 5 or 6 hours as we are moving so we've been gone often and or just don't need her "helping" like GSDs do. Both times we came home about an hour past dark to a dog whos face looks like she broke out in hives? The first time I chalked it up to a bee sting or spider bite, however it is 30 degrees out so bees aren't exactly active. But now that its happened a second time and I've changed the location she was tied up I am wondering IS it possible this is stress related? Can she swell up like this because we've left her and shes silently un happy?

Pictures...

Any input on what it could be, I added the reference about her food change but if either of the two caused a reaction I would have thought it would be the cheaper IAMS not the switch to Chicken Soup...

Sorry this got so long :whistle: it was a simple question.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Definitely looks like hives. They are going away after a few hours I assume, maybe even a day?

Does she break out only when she has been outside? everytime she eats? only when you are gone?

You can give her 2 benedryl in the am and two again in the pm (give 12 hours between each dose) to help the hives if they are hives.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
No matter what it is causing the reaction (Benedryl is a great tip Pawz) she will need to see a vet to find out what it is; and get it under control.

Just giving benedryl would be like you going out every day and getting a sunbrun, then putting on aloe. It helps, but you should really figure out that your getting a sunburn, and stay in the shade or wear sunscreen!!!! Make sense?

Anyways-welcome to the forum!! She sure is a good looking dog :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, at first I thought it was some sort of reaction to the wood chips she was laying in... the first time I noticed this. SO we moved her tie over to the grass & it happened again last night. It "could" be bugs, bees, spiders or something but again its 35 degrees so I don't see that possible.

It doesn't happen when she eats so I don't think its her food.

Last night the swelling went down a lot with in a half hour of us being home and bringing her inside with us. I really wonder if its stress induced, she loves to be with us and go anywhere were going, shes a protective dog and maybe even though she shows no signs of being stressed when we leave, maybe she is? I just don't know if its possible?

She comes out to the horse barn with me every day and spends a few hours nosing around in everything, chasing cats etc... No reactions. So why the grass in the back yard could bug her....?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree-maybe stress or something outside-bugs, spiders...what about hornets? They are actively biting this time of year. Though it's weird it would happen more then once...
Yeh-actually I'd toss out bug bites-she's getting them in the same spot more then once-likely not bugs. Gotta be an allergic reaction or something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This has happened here this week

with one of our dogs and seems to follow an outing into the fallen leaves of upstate NY. We attributed it to leaf molds that he must be sensitve to. You are fortunate that your dog settles out of it on it's own. Ours has been on round the clock benedryl for four days. Lapse over 5 hours and he starts up again.

Thankfully (in a sick twisted way) it is snowing here now and hopefully will knock the mold down. I guess we may get a reason after that. And thankfully none of the other dogs are having trouble with it.

I know I myself had a severe reaction while out raking leaves a few years ago. Took weeks to settle down the itching! Allergist said some sort of swarming tiny bug.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yea the nasty puss bumps of mange come after hair loss. I think allergic reaction, If your dog is getting hives from stress that is really not healthy nor good...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts