Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am very sad about my dog's death, two days ago. It came as a shock, she was having seizures and then put on Phenobarbital. She was 15 years old. I guess I want some way to make peace with her death, and so I am trying to figure out why she died. For two weeks after taking the medicine, she was literally back to her old self with not a single seizure. Then out of no where, she had a seizure. I took her to the vet, they said the meds don't totally stop the seizures, which I understood. She was acting extremely unlike herself, shaking and very quiet. The doctor said it was post seizure symptoms and that he thought she would get through it. He told us to give her more Phenobarbital when we got home. Sorry, forgot to mention I was also with my Mom, hence 'we'.

We got home and tried to get her more of the medicine but she wouldn't take it, she never refuses food (we wrapped the medication in cheese). Then she had another seizure. We tried to feed the medicine to her again. She wouldn't' take it. Then she threw up. Then she had a 3rd seizure and threw up again. I'm sorry for the vivid image. We took her back to the vet (same day, few hours later). She was having seizures in the car, and when she got there. Her body was convulsing unlike I've ever seen her do before. Then the doctor tells us that her health has worsened from when we took her in (few hours ago) to now, and that it's time. We had to put my dog to sleep.

I just don't get it, why did the medicine stop working? Why did it randomly stop working too? I wish we could have gotten her Phenobarbital to give her intravenously but it was too late when we got there. I just don't know, if we had been able to do that, would she have survived? It's also worth noting in the car her tongue turned white. She was panting hard. Breathing hard. Moving all over the place. I don't understand how her health deteriorated in a matter of hours. When I woke up she was fine too, then she had to go out, and then she had a seizure outside. It really saddens me, I loved this dog so much.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully someone has an answer.

·
Super Moderator
657 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your lovely girl. Sadly after we lose them, it's natural to ask why and whether we could have done anything differently.

The important thing is that you did all that you could and she was clearly well loved during her life.

There are organisations, including the ASPCA, who offer pet bereavement counselling services if you think that might help.

·
Super Moderator
3,666 Posts
I lost my sweet Miles, the dog in my avatar, a year ago. He was probably about 14 years old. In the end, his kidneys failed.

It is heartbreaking to lose your "heart" dog, especially when her final hours were so traumatic. As we made the decision to let Miles go, my vet told me that this was the time we had to step up and be our dogs' "heroes" - to end their suffering and let them go. I think psychologically we can understand that concept, but we'd still do anything to have them with us another hour, another day.

After I lost Miles, I found a talented artist on Etsy. I sent her my favorite photo of Miles. It was taken on the day I adopted him. He looked so happy and so eager. Now, I have a watercolor painting of him framed and displayed in our living room. I often look at it, and it reminds me of a happier time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lost my sweet Miles, the dog in my avatar, a year ago. He was probably about 14 years old. In the end, his kidneys failed.

It is heartbreaking to lose your "heart" dog, especially when her final hours were so traumatic. As we made the decision to let Miles go, my vet told me that this was the time we had to step up and be our dogs' "heroes" - to end their suffering and let them go. I think psychologically we can understand that concept, but we'd still do anything to have them with us another hour, another day.

After I lost Miles, I found a talented artist on Etsy. I sent her my favorite photo of Miles. It was taken on the day I adopted him. He looked so happy and so eager. Now, I have a watercolor painting of him framed and displayed in our living room. I often look at it, and it reminds me of a happier time.

Hey SusanLynn,

Do you mind sending me the link to that artist? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,666 Posts
Hi Dinwow,

There are several very talented artists on www.etsy.com. Just do a search for "custom dog portrait." You'll find artists working with watercolors, acrylics, pencil, and digital art. The artist I commissioned sent me a photo of the painting she had created for my approval before she mailed it to me. Then I had it framed locally. I find it a comforting way to remember my dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts