Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear! If this is possible for dogs to have, Peyton has it.

Peyton eats fabric and is obsessed with eating or chewing. He started by suckling on a comforter then began eating it and yanking the fabric off and does it to toys with such anger it seems. WHY?! good grief we have interrupted and given him an indestructible toys but he is so focused on the ones he has eaten. I kid you not...he was so badly obsessed with pot holders and to this day when we pull out an oven mit or pot holder (new ones) he stares with excitement and whines.

Its like he is bored or mad? What should I do? I can't walk him MORE because its too hot out so we go on a nightly walks.

He plays all day. We go out back and he runs, eats grass (which this has started to fill his tummy too much as well and gets "stuck" in his butt). I have been neglectful on the oatmeal daily but am going to start up again. Could that be it?

He has a sensitive stomach especially to protein we guess because he has severe diarrhea when on food with higher amts of protein.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hes 7 months old LOL we thought it was just from teething but apparently not haha any other ideas? LOL sorry

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why other than the grass and stuffing and fabric he eats. Other than that he should be fine. He has had a full blood panel including liver, kidneys, etc etc. Would there be some other test?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I don't know why other than the grass and stuffing and fabric he eats. Other than that he should be fine. He has had a full blood panel including liver, kidneys, etc etc. Would there be some other test?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head...

he may have PICA...its more a behavioral issue...I know, Chili has pica...som'times Chili will eat dirt and rocks, the stuffing out of stuffed animals, plastic etc, so I have to watch his little butt... I think alot of it is a puppy thing. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That sounds like Peyton. What is PICA? He gets so intense with it too and if you take it away he whines real loud, its cute but I know its bad LOL. Should we just continue watching him and substituting a toy that he cannot eat?

Andy just read about it ( PICA) and it says its an obsessive compulsive disorder...did I call it or what?! It says they are driven to eat non nutritional things such as POOP (he is guilty), toys (guilty), dirt,grass,rock (guilty) and Ice!!! (SUPER DUPER COMPLETELY GUILTY, FAVORITE TOY AND TREAT) It also says to test for anemia but I think that has to do with blood cells? Grrrr I will call my vet and ask tomorrow if the full blood panel would test for anemia.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, som' people think its an OCD thing...It might be...I haven't seen enough of it to make up my mind...I also did read that som' dogs do outgrow the behavior. :)
I hope he does grow out of it. If you put ice in your glass, he suddenly is right there wiggling and waiting for one LOL I am going to start back up with giving him oatmeal or green beans daily with his meals to see if it helps keep him from eating grass and blankets. If not I can only assume its not an appetite thing but this PICA disorder. TY btw for mentioning that, all signs point to it now that we read about it. I just didn't know if I was being a horrible mom :(

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I hope he does grow out of it. If you put ice in your glass, he suddenly is right there wiggling and waiting for one LOL I am going to start back up with giving him oatmeal or green beans daily with his meals to see if it helps keep him from eating grass and blankets. If not I can only assume its not an appetite thing but this PICA disorder. TY btw for mentioning that, all signs point to it now that we read about it. I just didn't know if I was being a horrible mom :(
just an observation i made on my own dog...it does seem to be linked to how hungry he is ...he will usually do it right before meals...at his hungriest (is that a word? lol) If I keep him full it is reduced...ALOT

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just an observation i made on my own dog...it does seem to be linked to how hungry he is ...he will usually do it right before meals...at his hungriest (is that a word? lol) If I keep him full it is reduced...ALOT
Peyton whines ALOT right before meals like he looks at the clock and says "dude its 5 FEED ME!" My fear is feeding him too much he is looking a smidge pudgy in his waist, not bad tho. should we give more smaller meals throughout the day and maybe put oatmeal in every meal? Fricking stoner dog I swear LOL

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
lmao... We give the puppy "lunch" and he gets training snacks...so he does get to eat 5 or so times a day... if I don't he will seriously come to me chewing on rocks and I find LOTS of sand in his poop.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to spread out his meals and continue feeding him 3x a day not 2. Also am going to give him oatmeal with each meal. I am going to get the missing link stuff too when I can...losing my job as of today so money will be tight but I think its worth the 65-70 bucks for a couple month supply.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
that is very interesting. ocd in humans is a very interesting disorder. in humans, ocd is a form of anxiety disorder and is treated with anxiety meds and sometimes a sort of flooding type therapy. the ritual washing and counting is often done to avoid some sort of scary consequence and/or intrusive thought. most people have some intrusive thoughts and things that we are anxious about but usually it is not enough to disrupt your life. i wonder how this could apply to dogs/animals in general......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
that is very interesting. ocd in humans is a very interesting disorder. in humans, ocd is a form of anxiety disorder and is treated with anxiety meds and sometimes a sort of flooding type therapy. the ritual washing and counting is often done to avoid some sort of scary consequence and/or intrusive thought. most people have some intrusive thoughts and things that we are anxious about but usually it is not enough to disrupt your life. i wonder how this could apply to dogs/animals in general......
they call the meaningless stuff, or the repeating stuff rituals...
I used to do rituals as a child. I mostly silly stuff, not alot of repeating...but it was still there...if I didn't do it I was convinced som'thing scary would happen...I had no idea what it was until I was older. The rituals went away, but the anxiety remains.

I don't think in dogs is the exact same disorder, since its mostly a mental thing in humans...but i have definetly seen dogs obsess over wierd things...and repeat wierd things, for no obvious reason.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they call the meaningless stuff, or the repeating stuff rituals...
I used to do rituals as a child. I mostly silly stuff, not alot of repeating...but it was still there...if I didn't do it I was convinced som'thing scary would happen...I had no idea what it was until I was older. The rituals went away, but the anxiety remains.

I don't think in dogs is the exact same disorder, since its mostly a mental thing in humans...but i have definetly seen dogs obsess over wierd things...and repeat wierd things, for no obvious reason.
I agree, I definitely by no means am comparing my dog to a human with OCD or anything.

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

I believe dogs can think to an extent...I know a lot of people don't....but the obsessive behavior of some dogs I call OCD. Maybe I should rephrase it to doggy ocd lol. Peyton gets very focused, for instance just this morning I took a chew bone away from him because somehow he found one and there wasn't enough to go around...put it in the top draw of my bed side table and he sat there for 10 mins straight not looking away and trying to find ways to open it and whined. Maybe this is normal, just never had one dog do it with so many things lol.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I agree, I definitely by no means am comparing my dog to a human with OCD or anything.

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

I believe dogs can think to an extent...I know a lot of people don't....but the obsessive behavior of some dogs I call OCD. Maybe I should rephrase it to doggy ocd lol. Peyton gets very focused, for instance just this morning I took a chew bone away from him because somehow he found one and there wasn't enough to go around...put it in the top draw of my bed side table and he sat there for 10 mins straight not looking away and trying to find ways to open it and whined. Maybe this is normal, just never had one dog do it with so many things lol.
this is why i find it so interesting....we are all animals and we all learn the same way, for the most part. you can use many of the same methods across the board to train any animal (you will have to make adjustments depending on its complexity and physiological ability) and that includes humans. the more studies done in this area, the more that we are finding out that non-human animals are both way more complex than we ever thought, but not in the ways that some people think (ie your cat/dog doesn't plan to ruin your day to get back at you for going away for the weekend) there was a very interesting article in the national geographic a couple of years ago that talked about this....i'll have to look it up. alex the parrot was mentioned in the article...cognitive use of language by parrots was always scoffed at before alex... any way, i am definately comparing a dog w ocd to a human w ocd because it is interesting, but by no means are they the same, it just never occured to me that a dog could really get a disorder that is so similar and it supports the biological theories of phsychology....very interesting

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts