Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is an adorable mini dachshund that looks really friendly. She has never aggressively aproached, nipped or bitten anyone but she really hates when strangers lean down to pet her. People never ask because they assume she's a sweet little dog. She gets this glazed over look in her eye and really tense that makes me assume she's a second away from biting.

She loves other dogs and commonly on our walks I'll stop so the dogs can interact and the other owners ALWAYS go in for a pet. And I have to say she likes dogs but she's not a people pup. They don't listen it's like everyone wants to be the human that she likes or something. It scares me every time that she'll bite them because she looks so uncomfortable. She's especially uncomfortable around men. It took her a while to get used to my husband who she now adores. How can I get people to stop petting her but still give her that interaction with dogs she loves. She's a sweet loving dog, just doesn't wanna get touched by humans she doesn't know. I feel like saying oh no don't pet her but it's always to late people are already going for it. Anytime I have said something like that they look at me like im rude.

Please help!

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Be blunt but nice..."She is friendly but does not like to be touched"

If you try be subtle and tell folks she is not a people pup...they will for sure they and be the "oh, well, I am sure she will like ME"

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had a dog who I did not allow to go near other dogs or people on walks. I would just walk around or say "He's not friendly" I think the problem here is you are letting your dog greet the other dogs, but not the owners? Im not sure what to do, but I can see how people are getting confused

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had a couple ideas, you could maybe form a little playgroup with people you know, so you could reasonably expect them to honor your requests.
Or, you could use lots of treats and get him ok with wearing a muzzle on walks. Nothing sends a 'don't touch me' message like a dog wearing a muzzle.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
With my people reactive dog I tell people, "Do NOT pet him, he may snap at you.", and if necessary I will body block them. Usually that's only needed if I have him under control and all they see is a cute little dog, if he's doing his barking, lunging, routine, then it's less likely that a person will bend down to try and pet him, although at times fools do still try.

My boy will snap if they do not heed his warnings. If he's calm and they try to pet him he's liable to growl a warning, but by then the person is generally not paying enough attention to heed the warning, or thinks they only need to pet him and he'll understand they're friendly, but if they get to close he'll snap. I work with him to teach him that people cause good things to happen for him, and when people ignore my request and cause him to feel like he has to defend himself it undoes some of the hard work.

My boy has taught me I have to be proactive and keep people back from him. My dog is not public property and I do not need to let anyone pet him. If it's someone I see often then I might stay and give an explanation of why I don't want them to pet him, if I don't see the person often then I usually don't bother.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Banned
283 Posts
Nothing sends a 'don't touch me' message like a dog wearing a muzzle.
I'm sure that's true. I couldn't do it, not that we have any need to. But I do tell children that they need to get their parents permission to pet our dog. As the op has indicated, not all dogs are sociable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.