Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who were interested in The Peticure nail trimmers:

I just bought the PediPaws (same thing as the PetiCure just different name and colored cap.....yellowish instead of see-through) from my work. We got it in on Wednesday and went up for sale Friday night.

I must say, I didn't particually want to spend $29.99 for it (well I got a discount but regular price for a non-employee was $29.99), because if it didn't work I'd be out that much money.

But, I am very pleased with the outcome. My dog, a 3 year old Pomeranian, has always been horrible about getting his nails done. He doesn't want to keep still at all, and since he broke his leg when he was 6 months old he has never liked people fooling with his legs no matter how much we try.
I first introduced the sound to him and gave him some treats then tried trimming his nails.
He was his normal self and didn't want to hold still, but we got them all done with no hassle.

My opinion: well worth the money. Does a great job trimming the nails

Only problem: Occasionally, since my dog has small nails, the nail would get jammed into the side, causing the emery wheel to stop spinning. It did NOT hurt the dog...nor did he even flintch....just scared me. It was quickly solved by turning it off and moving his paw.

I highly recommend it for it does work great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Questions on this

I was thinking about that a few days back, looks like a demmel basically, but how is it on the fur?

I have a Papillon, and his paws are pretty furry, when you see the commercial on them, they use a poodle and other short haied dogs. Just worry if the fur wrapped around the wheel it could hurt him.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the shows we just used dremmels to trim the nails but they were kinda loud and scared some dogs also if you leave it on the nail to long it will cause all the friction and start heating up the nail...

Does the pedipaws make a lot of noise and does it get hot?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard what a dremmel sounds like, but it does make a noise....about the noise of shavers (like ones used for horses), and it does make a tiny bit louder of noise when the nail touches it. But none of the three dogs we have had a problem with the noise, and the one is afraid of the nosie the food bowl makes when he eats

I did not find that it overheated the nail

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just ordered the Pedipaws last week myself. I'm just noticing this thread so I'm glad to see you recommend it or I'd be kicking myself. LOL! I'm anxious to get it. My dogs are small so I'm not worried about it, but I heard that it's not powerful enough for large dogs, what do you think?

As for dogs with hairy paws, I heard a good trick to remedy that. Put an old pair of nylons over their paw and push their nails through it. The nylons will hold all the hair out of your way. :dog-wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got it and I really like it! It does have a knack to it, but does exactly what I expected of it so I'm happy. Their nails are nice and short and rounded. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought one, Love it! Although I do have one dog that is scared of it so we are working on that...I saw them at Bed bath and beyond for $20! They had hundreds up on the wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
glad some one on here has got one, been looking in to buyin one but didnt have any recomendations for it.....so thanx for the post...lol been lookin on ebay and found it for £9 + postage. its got to be better than usin my dremmel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the PediPaws and I don't like it. Maybe it's my dogs nails, but it just doesn't work well for her. She doesn't mind the noise or anything and gives me her paw but it really doesn't grind down my dog's nails. It was a major disappointment. :[

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought them a few months back, and it was one of the best purchases I have gotten. It works great, and the dogs really are relaxed when I do it. Not like the clippers that they didn't like the feel or some thing and always tried to run, or struggle. No more clink clink on my kitchen floor, either. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this product a "one-size-fits-all" type of thing, or do they have different sizes for different size of dogs?

My Caesar is almost 95 lbs and has big black nails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have only seen the one size. I just bought one. So far I have only used it on one of my dogs and it did a good job. My Boxer pup is afraid of it. I am taking it slow with him. I got mine from CVS they had them for 20.00 but you know how they give coupons when you make a purchase. I had a 10.00 off coupon so I got it for 10.00. What a bargin. : )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing. I have been looking around for something to use with our dogs. Its always been a problem to trim their nails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found the PediPaws to be very effective for trimming my Chihuahua's nails. I don't worry about clipping too much off. It also works well for my larger dogs.

It's very quiet and not messy. I have not had my tool get hot or have I had the fur get caught in the wheel.

Overall I think it's a great invention!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The shelter here got a free one from the company that made it so we could try it out then recommend it if we thought it worked. Overall, after I used it one 4 of the dogs, I would rather just stick to my cordless Dremel, as the dremel did a faster and better job on all 4 of the dogs, the dogs where a Pomeranian, Black lab, some weird little mutt, and my Coonhound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
:mad::mad: I was very disappointed with it. My mom has small <10 dogs and she liked it so well she talked me into buying one. Jynx is about 40lbs and has thick nails and it didn't work at all. I tried it for two clippings with no satisfaction and it was banished to its box at the bottom of my 'doggie stuff' basket. Anyone who wants to pay for shipping can have it.:mad: It might be great for little dogs but I wouldn't recommend it for medium/large breeds.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I have a 60 lb dog with really big feet and big, thick black nails. Someone who didn't like it, gave me the pedi-paws. I love it! seriously, I have clippers but when the nails are so dark it is hard to see where the quick is. now I just grind them down a bit. My dog isn't a fan of either clippers or the pedipaws, but atleast with the pedipaws, I don't have to worry about any accidents. The first time I used it, his nails were a bit long so I trimmed them first and smoothed them out after, now I have the hang of it and once a week I grind just a bit off. It's not as easy as the commercials make it seem, but it is pretty easy.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts