Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thanks for replying to my previous post, i think i will stick with rottweilers again.
Sadly the breeder i got my previous rottweilers from is no longer available, so im trying to look elsewhere. I came upon a Pet Zone pet shop that recently opened up near my area.
Is it a good idea searching for a purebred rottie there, or have there been any bad experiences eith people going down this pet shop route?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Pet shops are notorious for using puppy mill dogs so I would steer clear. Pups will not be in the best of health and it'll just had to the puppy mill problem!

I'd suggest finding a good, reputable breeder in your area or at least in driving distance that health tests and works to better the breed as a whole, you will not get that with a pet shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :). Yeah, i heard that pet shop puppies never underwent health checks. The problem though is i live in egypt, and breeders there, although have produced some good rottweilers without any health problems, never heard of health checka or tests, doesnt exist over here.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well you'll have to do a lot of research and searching for a good breeder who does. You may be able to find health tested pups from a nearby country where you will be able to go pick them up or even have them imported.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks :). Yeah, i heard that pet shop puppies never underwent health checks. The problem though is i live in egypt, and breeders there, although have produced some good rottweilers without any health problems, never heard of health checka or tests, doesnt exist over here.
I'm sure serious breeders do invest in checking the health of the dogs they breed and the puppies they sell.

Maybe check with the local kennel club? https://www.facebook.com/EKFegypt

https://www.facebook.com/EgyptianRottweilerClub.ERC

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
While I'm sure you can find a good quality breeder (and it would be best to do so) I'm still of the opinion that if you can't, it's much, much better to find a breeder that seems to know and care about their dogs and give them a high standard of living, than to support an industry that is rife with cruelty (puppy mills).

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I'd take any breeder over a pet shop. Breeders will have more of a reputation to uphold-- even if health testing isn't a regular thing in Africa, a breeder that is breeding dogs to qualify for show or competition is going to be more careful about what parents they put together than a breeder who is trying to breed as many rottweilers as possible as fast as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts