Great Post thanksOn my other forum a members dog got into some rat poison. They had it put up where they thought he would never get it, but he managed. They immediately called an e-vet, induced vomiting, and he was treated and is recovering. But I have heard of a lot of people over the years having the same thing happen and the results weren't always good.
I decided to start a thread over there with a listing of pest removers or killers that are not harmful to pet dogs and cats but that are effective. Thought I'd do the same here. Maybe even get both threads stickied once all the info is gathered.
For ants I use cayenne pepper sprinkled around the outside of my house. Has worked great so far.
Beetles and things, including fleas, Diatomaceous Earth works well and is pet safe.
For bees, regular flies, and fruit flies I make traps instead of spraying. Fill a 2 litre bottle or something similar part way with water and honey or sugar. The flies either drown or I wait til there are a few in there and cap it real fast to be thrown away. Then I replace it with a new bottle.
That's all I have personal experience with, everyone feel free to post whats worked for you!
Oh, and be careful with gum and candy containing Xylitol. Usually found in sugar free candies and gums, it is toxic to dogs. One piece can kill a 50lb dog.
My pup Renee got into a container of Ice Breakers gum (contains Xylitol) once and I called the vet as soon as I saw her with it. They had me check the ingredients and told me about Xylitol being toxic. I was terrified. Since it was less than 30 minutes between ingestion and the call, I was told to include vomiting and bring her in if she started acting funny. She puked up every piece and was fine. Whew!
Peoples need to identify the difference between remedies by people or advise by a Vet.People on the other forum have offered up live traps and glue traps for rodents.
One lady had bedbugs and used diatomaceous earth (food grade, not pool grade) sprinkled around the house and car as well as putting vasoline in bowls under her beds legs.
One uses bay leaves for ants.
Someone else said for fruit and regular flies they use Apple Cider Vinegar with a touch of dawn dish soap. She says the soap breaks surface tension on the water and the flies drown faster.
Another says she used those sonic noise makers for rodents and the resident rodents moved out.
Another member says he uses peppermint and clove spray mixed with fly spray for horses and dogs he gets from the feed store. And that cedar chips outdoors helps a lot with various insects.
It should be responsibility of a poster to say that as well.
In fairness, the thread is about pet safe pest control, I'm not sure people will be ringing their vet to check whether cayenne pepper to discourage ants will harm their pet.Peoples need to identify the difference between remedies by people or advise by a Vet.
Secondly all those threads I think needs a notice that consult your Vet before trying anything. It should be responsibility of a poster to say that as well.
I am sorry Super Mod for being off topic, I was just talking about a thing that people don't need to follow advices if they are not from a verified source. On same thing I said that if anyone post wrong details, they need to quote that its not from a verified source.
Thanks for questioning my qualifications. I had doctorate in veterinary medicine. But yes I am both driver as well as a vet.Is he A driver, A vet? What's he certified in?
Ninguna renuncia de responsabilidad limita su responsabilidad por daños y perjuicios.
Las opiniones expresadas de exención de responsabilidad le permiten distanciarse de
las opiniones de los demás. Los descargos de responsabilidad de inversión indican que
usted no se responsabiliza de cómo otros actúen según su consejo.