Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

October’s Pet Obesity Awareness Day Should Be a Year Round Observance

Although October 7, 2015 is Pet Obesity Awareness Day, this potentially irreversible health concern is one that affects so many pets that it needs more than a single day of recognition. Measures should be taken every day to prevent pets from becoming overweight or obese.

In the U.S., pet obesity has reached epidemic proportions. In 2014, the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP) conducted its annual National Pet Obesity Awareness Day Survey by teaming up with veterinarians and determining that 52.7 percent of dogs and 57.9 percent of cats are overweight or obese.
As a practicing veterinarian who touts the message of maintaining a slim body condition to my clients and pet owners worldwide, I’m astounded that nearly 100,000,000 (yes, one hundred million) dogs and cats are considered overweight or obese.
Why is being overweight or obese bad for my pet?

Overweight and obese pets are at risk for numerous potentially irreversible health problems, all of which compromise their quality of life and are costly to owners to be medically managed.

The body systems below are affected by the listed obesity-related ailments:
Heart and blood vessels – high blood pressure, reduced blood circulation, etc.
Skin – skin fold dermatitis (skin inflammation), infection (bacteria, yeast), etc.
Immune System – cancer, immune mediated (“autoimmune”) disease, etc.
Muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons – arthritis, degenerative joint disease, tendon and ligament injuries, traumatic disc rupture, etc.
Glandular system – hypothyroidism, diabetes, pancreatitis, kidney and liver disease, etc.

Read More
Pet Obesity Awareness and Prevention | The Honest Kitchen Blog

1 - 1 of 1 Posts