Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are planning on getting pet insurance of our future dog and our cat. However I've been reading about pet owners being better off not having pet insurance and instead, save the money that would be sent to pet insurance on a separate savings account.

Would I be better off without pet insurance and just make my own Pet emergency funds?

The pet Insurance my husband and I are looking at is Petplan. It was recommended by a family member who has a good eye for deals. I heard mostly good things about them but a fair bit of bad. Here is there site: Petplan Pet Insurance - The Best Pet Health Insurance Plans for Unexpected Veterinary Bills - Get a Free Quote!

So Pet insurance, yay or nay?

If yay, which have you experienced and would recommend? Which should I avoid or be cautious about?

·
Registered
888 Posts
As I have said before - no pet insurance. I have a credit card dedicated to my dogs on file with the vet (just in case someone other than myself ever had to take them in). I have a separate savings account that I put money from each check into for vet bills.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Unless you know you're getting inot a situation where you know the pet will have major medical (which probly wouldn't be covered anyway as a pre-exsisting condition) I don't generally recommend it.

Open a seperate bank account and put the money you'd spend on premeiums into the account and use that to cover the animal's expenes. Get a couple quotes appropriate for your dog, average figures and put that much away every month.

Most insurence have a cap on how much they pay out, which in the overall scheme of things isn't that much in terms of major medical. Many won't cover genetic issues, like displaysia, unless you pay extra. And if you DON'T have a major medical problem you've just wasted the large majority of the money you sent them.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
The only time I've wished for insurence is for one of my current cats who's suffering from a variety of issues which are requiring regular bloodwork and meds, and even then I'm only wishing for insurence because if my husband lost his job her requirements would be a bit costly. But you know what? If he lost his job I probly couldn't afford the premiums anyway, so I don't REALLY wish for it. Theres enough in the pet savings account to cover her needs for several months AND leave a comfortable amount in case something happened to someone else.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Another no on the pet insurance. Instead I have the same amount it would cost withdrawn into a low-risk mutual fund monthly. I generally find that they get better interest than savings accounts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
With insurance the vet charges more because you have insurance. If you don't have insurance most vets are willing to give you discounts also. A credit card for your pets only will be a better idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, after thinking about it and looking into the details of what various companies cost and cover, you guys are right; it's not worth it. My husband and I are probably just going to use a separate bank account. I much rather be in control of the money I store instead of having an insurance company pulling all the strings.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
With insurance the vet charges more because you have insurance. If you don't have insurance most vets are willing to give you discounts also. A credit card for your pets only will be a better idea.
Your vet does that??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts