Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there are some pet first aid classes. They seem like a good idea. Does anyone have experience with them?

For example, Red Cross has a 30-minute online course for $25. To me that's a very short course. I'm also skeptical about online courses on hands on subjects. But a quick internet search will turn up a number of other courses, most of which appear longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,004 Posts
I did one a few years ago in the UK. It was similar to human first aid - stemming bleeding, bandaging, splinting, CPR (including mouth to nose resuscitation - you would need to love your dog a lot for that ...)

I found it worthwhile.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will "take a class" (which really means watch a video). When I did human first aid classes, I found it really useful to do some hands on practice. I guess my dog will take the class with me and serve as the victim during exercises. Not sure about doggie CPR. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,004 Posts
Not sure about doggie CPR
I'm not sure how useful it actually is because in humans you need a seal on the nose to make sure the air you are blowing into the mouth gets to the lungs. In a dog, you use a cut down plastic bottle with padding round the cut part, and fit that over the snout and blow into the bottle top. You are never going to get a good seal on that. And on brachy dogs, it's not going to be effective at all.

I had to use it once, I was doing it for 30 minutes thinking the vet was coming out, they thought we were coming to them. The dog didn't make it - I think it was too late when I was brought in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts