Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not be a decent pet owner without providing some sort of pet bed for my animals. Looking back over the years, each of my pets had a place to call their own.

My first pet, a small Maltese, had a store bought pet bed. It had foam edges covered in cheap, blue fabric with a small cushion inside. My little guy slept there contentedly until he realized that my bed was much more comfortable.

This same Maltese had to have knee surgery late in life, and for this, I sewed my first pet bed. Time and thought went into his special bed. It was essentially a beanbag made out of pillow stuffing and covered with burgundy fleece. He spent his days on the beanbag and his nights in my bed.

A couple of months after sewing that first pet bed, our canine family grew by one rescued Poodle. She was 6 months old and matted all over, but appearance did nothing to dampen her charm. It was decided she needed a haircut and a matching pet bed. During the day, both dogs slept on their beanbags and at night both slept in my bed.

The next year we added a stray Cocker Spaniel. Tired of stuffing and sewing, I bought some good foam and made a simple slip cover. He was safe, cozy, and well fed. During the day, all three slept on their beds and at night all three slept with me.

The next year brought a stray Shepherd mix. Her hips and lower back were misaligned. For the pain she must have suffered, this classy dog was so quiet and gentle. So another foam pad was constructed for her. She had her pad during the day, but at night my bed was officially full.

The next year brought a cat! None of us saw that one coming. But of course, someone had thrown the kitten out and what was I to do. I made her a nice cushy pad inside one of our old letter trays. She used it, but most of the time made her bed wherever she wanted. And every once in a while, at night, the cat would somehow find room in my bed.

Last, but not least, came the outside dog. This toddler of a dog was the happiest, bounciest thing you have ever seen. His bed, the new doghouse, was empty all the time. When the weather turned cold, my husband built a doghouse over him in the flowerbed where he always lay. He loved it! After we filled the “new” doghouse and the original doghouse with shavings, he slept in both houses. My husband was just glad he was not in our bed!

The moral of the story is this, no matter what you use, make sure your pets have a comfy place to call their own.

Pet Beds & Other Pet Accessories - One Comfy Pet

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am a new dog owner, so I am probably buying too many toys, etc but we just bought a Cesar Milan orthopedic dog bed for our new dog yesterday. He seems to like it. At first he slept on the floor with his head on it, but later he got fully onto it and stayed that way all night.

Well almost all night... at one point he decided to jump in bed with us. Ha Ha! It's like sleeping with a horse, so we don't allow him to sleep with us. I took him back down and then he spent the night on the new dog bed.

-Mike-

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lets see....all the dogs (7) have their own crates complete with beds...yes plural....beds! They stay in them while we are at work. At night well, they sleep in bed with us. We have a queen and a full so that way everyone can fit. But they seem to like to cuddle so usually Im the one who can't move. They also have their prefered spots so often Im a pretzel since they range in size from 12 to 90 pounds!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love that we can spoil our dogs! Thanks for the replies. I don't think I would know how to fall asleep without one of my dogs near.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have so many dog beds it seems a bit insane! Most I made or at least have made multiple covers for them. I complain to my pack all the time about having to wash and stumble over all of their beds - but they want to be with me wherever I am, so there has to be enough beds to please everyone - right? LOL!! At night 3 of them manage to squeeze onto our double size bed with my DH and me. They are all Labs. I don't think the size of our bed matters much -- no matter how big it was I would only get the outside 6 inches!! .... Dog! Who needs 'em? ... hahaha!

·
Registered
303 Posts
You know you need help when you have to beds to accomodate everyone and you still have to cling to the edges!! I've woken with paws in my mouth, snouts in my ears, and cold noses warming themselves in my back. You coundn't pay me enough to make the dogs leave and sleep elsewhere! I can't sleep unless in touching at least two and know that everyone is present and accounted for!

·
Registered
321 Posts
My Doberman has a beanbag and an old comforter during the day, but as soon as I go to bed, she's right there with me. In a twin size, it's pretty packed. Sometime this spring we're breeding her and plan on keeping a pup. When that happens I definitely won't be able to move! :]

·
Registered
48 Posts
We bought Max's bed. There isn't any box that is his size.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My last dog Jazzy had one of those store bought beds with a pillow inside (the cuddly roundish beds), a big bed in the living room, and every blanket that had dared be set down from the cupboard; she also slept in my parents bed and mine.

Tessa has a crate that she rarely uses and a big Costco bed in the living room that she rarely uses. Instead she prefers the couch and my bed. So I guess her special place is at my side :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So far, my Dobe sleeps in her crate but I have three Shih Tzu x Maltese sleeping with me in bed. Really nice in the cold weather as one sleeps up by my head, one in the middle of my back and the other down by my feet.

When I just had Susie, my Bernese cross, she slept in bed with me until she just got too big and I was pushed out of bed so then she slept on her own bed alongside mine.

I have two beds by my computer, one big bed under my table and various other beds around the house. (Have four Shih Tzu x Maltese in the house now but one still sleeps in a crate at night)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I made 3 pet beds. 2 are on the floor so Hugo & my cat can take their pick - they both have a preference but aren't fussed sharing. One is off the ground so that the cat has his own special spot when he wants to get away from Hugo haha. Hugo sleeps in my bed each night & occasionally my cat wants to as well, but he usually prefers his own space somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Raggy seems to dislike fome beds,I use a basic dog bed but he still ignores it most of the time. Often preferring to sleep on the bare ground instead. Blankets can be used instead. I don't use a crate so he has free reign on what he chooses.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I gave up on trying to find a bed for Manna, she just ignores them or moves them so she can get to the floor underneath.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I always buy a bed for Minnie at Christmas along with her other presents. At the pet store near my house they have dog beds where you buy the casing and you are supposed to put older tshirts,other clothing etc into it to stuff it. I don't know if I'll be trying that anytime soon but I guess it would help associate your dog with your smell.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Molly prefers the kitchen floor during the day, because of all her hair but she will take her chewies to her bed, which is a 24X24 Euro sham sized pillow. But at night she's on my bed . I usually have to make room for ME!;)

Attachments

Reactions: HouseIsaZoo

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Our little ones sleep on the bed, big dogs have mats or the steel framed beds. I get blankets from second hand shops & make beds out of them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here are a few I have made. I sell them....which is why I have made so many & why they're photographed with the black backgrounds.

The fabric comes from 2nd hand shops, or people just donate it to me. The foam comes from a local mattress factory that gives me their off cuts for free :)

First though, this is Hugo's main bed

Crappy photo of my cat's main bed

This is Duke, a gorgeous Corgi my mum dog sat for :) The safari print bed on the ground is the 3rd bed I have in the house.

My absolute favorite! I wanted to keep it, but couldnt pass up a sale.

Reactions: LuvMyFluff

·
Registered
272 Posts
So far I have only bought one bed for our border collie pup and that is now in pieces in the backyard. She prefers either a thin fleece blanket on the floor during the day, the couch when we're watching TV and it's our bed at night. Usually she ends up right between me and my fiancé and takes most of the blanket, but she's so cute that I just grab another blanket if it gets cold so I don't disturb her :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a kuranda bed fo Manna as she tends to nap on a old wiker table outside that looks very similar.

Any info on them good/bad/ugly?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts