Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've created this thread as a rant space for people like me, who are tired of strangers invading their dog's space and expecting a positive reaction.

Today, I was walking Gemma up town with my Dad, as we had a couple things to do. A little girl came up to us and asked if she could pet my dog. I said yes, she did the right thing by asking.

Gemma sat nicely as per usual while she pet her head. Gem is super cautious around little kids and will sit quite still while she wags her tail very softly, and maybe even a gentle lick in their arm, so she doesn't hurt them.

But then the little kid lunged in to wrap her arm around Gemma's neck for a hug. Gem was very confused by this and immediately backed up. I was very proud of her, she didn't hackle or cower or anything, just politely backed away. The little girl lunged for her again before Gemma hid between my legs (that's her safe space) and her parents intervened.

Now this isn't the little kids fault, she was maybe 4 at most. But I don't understand why parents don't teach their kids (or themselves) that it's not ok to invade a dog's space, even if the dog seems ok with it. If Gemma was a different dog, that little girl could have been seriously hurt and I would have got the blame.

And my Dad had the audacity to suggest Gemma was being a wimp!

Similarly, I have had Gem tied outside of a store front while I picked up a few things, always in complete sight of me, though dog knapping isn't really a thing where I am. And random people have just walked up to her and petted her! Gem is super friendly when I am there, but when I am not she is quite cautious and will lean away from strangers.

How do people not realise that when she leans away, isn't wagging and is giving them side eye she doesn't want to be petted? They shouldn't be petting a stranger's dog without consent anyway!

I know she is my responsibility and unfortunately I am just going to have to work around the idiots, but that doesn't mean I can't get frustrated.

Anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I've experienced little squealing kids running up to pet Timber - and been quite rude to them to back off. And in return I've had glaring looks from their parents for daring to speak to their precious darlings like that. Not that T would have bitten, but they don't know that.

But I also hate rude, out of control, space invader dogs. There's a story circulating on social media here about someone whose dog was being pestered by another dog whose owner insisted it was friendly and just wanted to play. The first owner turned to her and said something like ”friendly? So am I - so, shall we hang out? Do you want to go and get a meal? In fact, now we are friends come over, I am going to give you a big hug”. Obviously the second owner recoiled so she was able to say ”THAT'S how my dog feels”.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Murphy is terribly nervous of people skateboards trolleys etc. We walk in very quiet places but you do get joggers, cyclists , skaters and kids who come charging up from behind , or jumping out of bushes and expect the dog not to react...

He wears a yellow tag that says Keep your Distance and yet... people actually lean in and say '; oh you wont mind me will you Im friendly' Im mean are they stupid or what?

We teach our children to say no we teach them not to let people hug kiss or touch them its ok in fact more than ok for your child to say no or refuse to have contact with a person but a dog ..Oh no they are expected to be calm loving and bomb proof no matter what idiot comes charging up screaming at them.. Well my dog is a DINOS ( dog in need of space ) and so am I.....( himos) Human in need of space

·
Administrator
1,295 Posts
I've experienced little squealing kids running up to pet Timber - and been quite rude to them to back off. And in return I've had glaring looks from their parents for daring to speak to their precious darlings like that. Not that T would have bitten, but they don't know that.

But I also hate rude, out of control, space invader dogs. There's a story circulating on social media here about someone whose dog was being pestered by another dog whose owner insisted it was friendly and just wanted to play. The first owner turned to her and said something like ”friendly? So am I - so, shall we hang out? Do you want to go and get a meal? In fact, now we are friends come over, I am going to give you a big hug”. Obviously the second owner recoiled so she was able to say ”THAT'S how my dog feels”.
Yup. I'm fairly sure kids round here think I'm a nasty witch who won't let them pet her cute little doggy. I remember one evening, not long after I got Honey. She was trotting along, quite happily, minding her own business, with me and Milly in front. We passed a group of kids, and I just knew one particular little girl had decided to ignore my warning look and would be running up to Honey as soon as my back was turned. I spun around on my heel. Sure enough, she was making a beeline towards Honey, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw me glaring at her. :D

The difference is, Honey WILL bite. She has in the past, but because I've mastered the evil glare that can stop a kid at a hundred paces, :D it's never happened on my watch. If I have to be the evil witch who won't let innocent little Hansel and Gretel stroke the cute little teddy-bear puppy dog, then so be it.

Much better than letting Honey take matters into her own paws and them learning the hard way that cute little teddy-bear puppy dogs have very uncute sharp pointy teeth and know how to use them.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Start here!

Actually, that could be used against you here in the UK for knowingly having a dangerous dog - even if it isn't actually dangerous. People won't even have ”Beware of the Dog” signs on gates for that reason.

Now, if you got a bandana saying ”Infectious Disease” I bet that would be effective!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Actually, that could be used against you here in the UK for knowingly having a dangerous dog - even if it isn't actually dangerous. People won't even have ”Beware of the Dog” signs on gates for that reason.

Now, if you got a bandana saying ”Infectious Disease” I bet that would be effective!
Interesting. I don't think that would happen here, but I like your idea..A collar saying "My person has Covid and I will lick your face" might be better!

Edit: My favorite sign. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Thats why mine just says keep your distance

·
Registered
511 Posts
I will preface this by saying I never let strangers, especially kids approach or pet my dogs, the risk of something going wrong is not something I am willing to take on.
When I had my golden retriever, when we were out, it was a constant dodging of uninvited attention from strangers and kids. Unaware parents sending their little ones over to 'pet the doggie', I assume, at least in part, due to their friendly appearances and the 'good with kids' label that is attached to the breed.

It is frustrating for sure, people in general seem to have it mind that it is their 'right' to interact with any dog they choose to, totally disregarding or oblivious to the fact, that they may be putting themselves, and (more important to me) my dog at risk of a negative outcome. Regardless whether they may feel offended, it is my responsibility to protect my dog, and I don't have any problem with doing what it takes to do that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yellow Dog UK | Some Dogs Need Space

The yellow dog project aims to educate people dog owners and non dog owners alike about the need to give dogs space..

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
The slight problem I have with the Yellow Dog thing is that loads of people use high vis yellow leads anyway, so it isn't easy to see from a distance which dogs do need more space.

That said, I don't have a better answer.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This is especially a problem in the US for people who have service dogs. They can have a vest on plastered with patches that say, Service Dog, Do Not Pet! and people will ignore them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've created this thread as a rant space for people like me, who are tired of strangers invading their dog's space and expecting a positive reaction.

Today, I was walking Gemma up town with my Dad, as we had a couple things to do. A little girl came up to us and asked if she could pet my dog. I said yes, she did the right thing by asking.

Gemma sat nicely as per usual while she pet her head. Gem is super cautious around little kids and will sit quite still while she wags her tail very softly, and maybe even a gentle lick in their arm, so she doesn't hurt them.

But then the little kid lunged in to wrap her arm around Gemma's neck for a hug. Gem was very confused by this and immediately backed up. I was very proud of her, she didn't hackle or cower or anything, just politely backed away. The little girl lunged for her again before Gemma hid between my legs (that's her safe space) and her parents intervened.

Now this isn't the little kids fault, she was maybe 4 at most. But I don't understand why parents don't teach their kids (or themselves) that it's not ok to invade a dog's space, even if the dog seems ok with it. If Gemma was a different dog, that little girl could have been seriously hurt and I would have got the blame.

And my Dad had the audacity to suggest Gemma was being a wimp!

Similarly, I have had Gem tied outside of a store front while I picked up a few things, always in complete sight of me, though dog knapping isn't really a thing where I am. And random people have just walked up to her and petted her! Gem is super friendly when I am there, but when I am not she is quite cautious and will lean away from strangers.

How do people not realise that when she leans away, isn't wagging and is giving them side eye she doesn't want to be petted? They shouldn't be petting a stranger's dog without consent anyway!

I know she is my responsibility and unfortunately I am just going to have to work around the idiots, but that doesn't mean I can't get frustrated.

Anyone else?
Strangers always love to try petting my dog and I just ask my dog sit by my side and then I'll stand infront of her to block the stranger. I'll tell the person politely that she can't be pet as she is in training and can't be distracted. People react well to this and won't try petting her.

My dog is ok around strangers as long as they leave her alone, if they try to interact she can get a bit nervous so I always try to avoid these scenario's to help with her training.

I don't know why some people feel entitled to petting other people's dogs, it's stupid.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
See the size of that yellow tag? Clear ? and yet this morning a jogger came towards us. We stepped to the side of the path and told the dogs to sit and leave it ... We spoke clearly so you would expect the person to realise that we dont want the dogs to react and he cut across the path and ran within two inches of Murphys nose... Honestly the guy is lucky Murphy or my OH didnt tear him a new ***

·
Registered
838 Posts
I only just noticed this thread. I shouldve put my latest post in here. I swear i have the worlds most patient dog. From toddlers sticking heads in pram to someone pulling his tail twice. There was another tail incident where hes tail was grabbed and wasnt letting go while jesse was screaming in fear and pain, we both immediately forgave that person🙂. Once just casualy walking past a little kid she quickly hugged jesse. The list goes on. If he was a different dog half these kids would be dead. The amount of times people read nervous dog sign out loud and then stick there hand in to pat him and day your dogs not nervous. The amount of people that pat him and squeeze his ears which hurts him. He just wants to walk and have not have his bubble invaded. In saying this im a huge hypocrite cause once i was so smitten and all over a malamute puppy who was showing signs of being uncomfortable. I was watching a toddler the other day running along a path toward a dog well away from the parent in the park. I just for the life of me cant understand how sooooo many parents are oblivious to the fact dogs have feelings to. How would they like it if a stranger goes up and picks up there little kid and starts kissing them ect.
On another note dogs can invade human strangers space. However the dingo who walked past that singled me out at the bus stop last week to give me the most gentle kisses is welcome to anytime🥰

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Ours loved little kids when she was young, but as she has transitioned into senior status, she had become less and less tolerant of kids, so, I don't let small and unpredictable kids pet, her, older kids that can understand instructions like, no sudden moves, can. I have never had even the beginning of any kind of incident nor do I think I ever with, but out of respect for our senior and her personal space, I am very protective. I should clarify by saying that she is not the least bit offensive and her reaction is always, to back away and put something between her and little kids, usually me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I always read these posts with interest, but often wonder if maybe I just live on a different planet...

Never once has a child, of any age, run up and pet my dog without asking. No adults either.

Of course, I do get frequent requests. It depends on what we're doing as to whether I allow it or not. But my dog is always okay saying hi to a kid!

Probably because she's a big all black GSD, that or I look mean maybe? I don't know...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a similar experience. My dog is also a big black shepherd (mix), and the only time people ever tried/asked to pet him was when I put a purple bandana on him. So I just stopped putting "cute" things on him.

One thing I did notice very recently, though, was that sometimes when we pass people in tight spaces, an occasional grown up will just reach down and stroke his back as he's walking by. Happened in a busy airport and on a narrow mountain trail.. Meanwhile, kids have always asked first and respected what I said, but it's rare for them to even ask. The dog is BIG! Parents tend to make sure their kids keep their distance too.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I definitely think the type of dog makes a difference. I'm sure 'cute and fluffy' dogs attract more attention.

I also should practise my mean look though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts