Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for Labor Day my bfs aunt and uncle invited us over for dinner and told us to bring Delilah. She's been over before and was fine just sitting in my lap. Well yesterday we went and she started yapping at his uncle so I took her aside to do some counter conditioning as well as some obedience drills and that calmed her down. Well she went over to his uncle and let him pet her and was being so good and then he GRABBED her tail and started yelling "got your tail, got your tail" which freaked her out and she darted away and air snapped at him. So I took her to the other side of the yard to calm her down and do so training and she was so good and focused and calmed down right away. His uncle walked by and started making barking noises at her. Which triggered her yapping again. We ended up leaving early. Who the heck does that? Even if you think teasing dogs is okay, if you see an owner trying to train their dog to stop doing something, you don't go interfering with training and encouraging the dog to do that thing. He has the mentality that 1) all dogs like being teased and think it's a game and 2) he's a human and she's a dog so she should put up with whatever he wants to do to her because of that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a brother like that.. no actually 2 of my 3 brothers are like that. It is a very frustrating thing indeed. I have been discouraging my dog from mouthing at hands, and then I walk in and my little brother is pulling Chester's ears and saying "good boy" when he mouths his hand! to say the least I was very unhappy with him. The worst thing about these type of people is they feel like they have the right as a human to tease dogs because a dogs a dog.. I know your pain all to well..

·
Registered
151 Posts
So for Labor Day my bfs aunt and uncle invited us over for dinner and told us to bring Delilah. She's been over before and was fine just sitting in my lap. Well yesterday we went and she started yapping at his uncle so I took her aside to do some counter conditioning as well as some obedience drills and that calmed her down. Well she went over to his uncle and let him pet her and was being so good and then he GRABBED her tail and started yelling "got your tail, got your tail" which freaked her out and she darted away and air snapped at him. So I took her to the other side of the yard to calm her down and do so training and she was so good and focused and calmed down right away. His uncle walked by and started making barking noises at her. Which triggered her yapping again. We ended up leaving early. Who the heck does that? Even if you think teasing dogs is okay, if you see an owner trying to train their dog to stop doing something, you don't go interfering with training and encouraging the dog to do that thing. He has the mentality that 1) all dogs like being teased and think it's a game and 2) he's a human and she's a dog so she should put up with whatever he wants to do to her because of that.
Maybe you should just reach out and pinch the crap out of him when he does that, then be like, "I'm sorry I thought you liked that...?!". LOL, nah not really, although it's nice to imagine. It's really worse than being clueless. I can deal with someone who just doesn't know a million times better than someone who knows, but does not respect what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had a family member, drinking too much barking at my dog, and my dog got really defensive, barking back, but staying in front of me...
Then he was like 'your dog doesn't like me' .....ughhh
Some people just have no clue the time and effort that goes into training. Really tasteless.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yep, people suck...I really hate it when people bark back at dogs, like wth?! Someone drove past me and Zoey once when we were waiting for my bf to lock up, and they leaned out the window and barked at her - she was just stood there calmly!!

I had a friend grab Raiden, our 10 week old puppy, around the head like in a headlock whilst yelling "I've got your head, I won't let it go!". It wouldn't have been a problem if he'd stopped after a few seconds, but he carried on when the puppy was bucking about trying to get free :mad: Had to step in quickly and say "oh let's give the puppy some ham" so he was released.

Several years ago Kasper had a plastic bottle with kibble in, and a family member was nudging it with his toe and bothering Kasper whilst he ate to the point that Kasper growled (yeah I should have stepped in and prevented it all from happening, but I was a dog noob :rolleyes: ). They thought this was really funny, Kasper growling, until I said "no you need to stop, he's growling because you're upsetting him and if you carry on he will bite".

My partner's family have a dog, a 12 year old Lab cross that is dog aggressive, virtually untrained, and resource guards balls from everyone/thing. The dog had been given a new ball (VERY high value to this dog) and my partner's brother - who is 19 and really should know better - was teasing the dog by reaching close to the dog, touching the ball etc. The dog was getting stiff and growling every time it happened, but the family thought it was hilarious and "he doesn't really mind because his tail's wagging!" :mad: :mad: :mad:

People like this are the reason I've put so much work into grabbing my dogs, shouting at them and slapping them...all those things are good to them, and their reaction is "omg yay play!". People are so idiotic and unpredictable I like to prepare my dogs as much as possible...I mean I've had strangers grab and hold Kasper's face whilst staring into his eyes, a random woman yelling in Zoey's face to try get her to sit, and my bf's family pinned 10 week old Zoey to the floor by her neck. Some people are sucky...

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Disclaimer: I am in NO way defending his behavior. I think it's completely inappropriate.

Regarding interfering with your training... so many people think small dogs don't NEED to be trained like big dogs do. Perhaps your bf's uncle feels this way too? It's a dumb mentality. A badly behaved dog, no matter what size, is unacceptable.

I'm sorry that you and Delilah had this experience. Sounds like she's a great dog to recover so quickly. I second the suggestion to speak with him about it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've had strangers bark at my dog as we walked by. Who does that? What are they hoping will happen?

Good on you for leaving early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts