Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Personally I do both.
I buy based a lot on whats on sale and my wallet. I do stick to higher protein grain free foods though. Earthborn, zignature, acana, fromm, merrick (probably not anymore)...
I tend to flip flop between poultry and red meats. So turkey, beef/bison, chicken, venison, etc. just because it seems to help me keep variety in their diets.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
This is interesting. I rotate flavors of the same brand (Wellness CORE) but I never thought to rotate brands. She does well on her food so I figured it was good. Rotating brands doesn't bother their stomachs?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Not my crew, but I've been doing this for a while now so are probably used to it. I normally dump some of the new bag into the last few day's worth of what they had been eating so they get a mix for several days. Then when gone go to the new food. :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I switch flavors a couple of times per year. Usually between grain free fromm game bird and the beef flavor.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Protein. I used to rotate brand, but Kabota does markedly better on Acana as opposed to anything else, so why give anything else? I rotate between fish, duck, lamb and pork.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Mainly protein although sometimes I'll switch to grain inclusive. I've switched back to Fromm (he does best on it) and rotate between fish, beef, and game bird. I used to feed chicken but am taking that out of the rotation since it seems to have started giving him gas.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, a big factor for me is what's on sale- every month at work they have 20% off the "brand of the month" so I would be getting wholesale food plus the discount if I switched brands whenever I needed new food so that's why I'm wondering.

She's eating Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice but I think she'd like to switch it up every so often if it doesn't hurt her stomach! I'd also like to see which brands and proteins she does well on and which ones she doesn't do well on.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I switch between the flavors of Zignature for Cooper. Maggie doesn't get a switch, she is on the multi protein version anyways and loves it. She has a hard time switching foods, even just the flavor, so I just keep her stable. Cooper loves the variety.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You should definitely switch brands for a multitude of reasons.

1)No single food is nutritionally complete due to the cooking process. Heat destroys a lot of nutrients and vitamins so switching brands helps ensure you are providing every nutrient.

2)Variety. Who wants to eat the same thing every day? Nobody.

3)Recalls. God forbid there is a recall on what you feed and you need to switch immediately and your dog gets the runs from the switch!

I recommend you have three foods in your rotation and switch every four months at the least.

I personally switch it up quite often when I'm feeding kibble. I have run through a lot of kibbles to find what works for my girl. I know which ones I can count on her doing well on when I am out of raw food or don't quite have the money to swing it that week.

I definitely recommend transitioning over the course of a week though. Some dogs do fine switching around but others take longer to adjust, especially if they've been on the same food for a long time.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i do something similar to what kmes posted, but i tend to mix my bags when i have a little more left... so when i'm about 2/3s through one kind, i'll by the next... i also feed a homemade cooked food that is pretty consistent though i do go back and forth between beef and turkey with that. i found, with both of my dogs, that it isn't too bad to switch between dog foods that are similar in quality and nutritional make-up BUT switching from a lower quality to a richer food can be REALLY rough, both were fed really poor quality foods when i got them, and when i tried to switch straight to something like TOTW/wellness etc, it didn't go well. switching up gradually worked out well though

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts