Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my neighbors has a german shep husky mix. They dont have a fenced in yard, so they chain him outside or lock him in their laundry room. They own a brush, but the dog has ever been brushed. You touch him and your hand comes back with an inch of fur on it. The dog gets so excited to see people that he starts humping the air, whining, jumping, and everything. Sometimes they spank him if he doesn't stop crying, or just yell at him.

I hate going to their house because every time I have to see this poor dog living in a closest or chained to a tree outside. Their last dog, a beagle, got hit by a car because she broke the chain or something.

He does still get food and water, so I don't think any of this would count as abuse but it still hurts to see this dog get no exercise when both the breeds in the mix need a substantial amount.

I wish everyone could accept that dogs are living things too and are a part of your family, not just a 'rite of passage' so that your family has a dog.

Any idea how to help this animal, or is this out of my hands? I love dogs so much, I feel terrible that I can't do anything for him. When I am at their house, I ask to see him and pet him and love on him(god the fur gets every where) I feel like that's the best I can do without coming off as bitchy.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Honestly, I don't know why people are this way. I can understand the mindset of biting off more than you can chew, but I will never understand people who get dogs and only leave them in kennels or chained outside - and they knew from the start that's what they would be doing! Honestly, what's the point?

You posted on your other thread that you have a teenage daughter interested in dog sports - any possibility she could come over and spend time with their dog? You could float it as them doing you a huge favor by allowing your daughter to get some practice with other dogs before she gets hers, making it more likely they'll accept. Plus, it would be good experience. And who knows? Once they see the benefit of a well-trained dog, they may be willing to change their tune a bit.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Most people can not (or will not) give their dogs nearly the attention they deserve. But life in a loveless home is better than life on the streets. It is sad to see how most dogs are forced to live in cages for most of the day (and those are the lucky ones) and how many more are forced to live outside alone. Most people really do not understand dogs.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Best you could probably hope to do is claim to want to try your hand at training one of the breeds that are harder to train and would they mind if you tried with their dog. Let them know that it will include walking the dog so that it learns to heel and because it's easier to train a dog that is slightly tired then one that is brimming over with energy. It'll make it seem like they are doing you a favor by letting you interact with the dog, and they will be getting their dog cared for for free.

Reactions: 3Dogfam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pet owners should treat their dog as part of the family. When someone gets a dog, they should be there to take care of it. It's like a baby with four legs! You can't just leave him in a closet all day long with no exercise and no way of being social to humans or even other dogs! Poor pup.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
This was actually the norm in the past. I have a dog care book from 1950s that recommends leaving a dog outdoors to prevent it from eating table scraps and getting fat. The book discusses the ins and outs of leaving your dogs chained outdoors 24/7 in the summer.

Not sure I'd support changing the laws but I've always found it interesting that animal welfare laws seldom concern (take into account) the mental well being of animals. I could legally keep my dogs in crates 24/7 with zero interaction if I wanted to. O.O In fact, I did see someone with a border collie that was almost always left in its crate. Why would anyone want a dog if they weren't even going to interact with it?
@Carl484a Not sure about where you are at but most people I see genuinely love their dogs and give them lots of attention. However, I do see people that just leave their dogs in a crate or tied up outdoors but not often and not nearly as often as 15 years ago. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts