Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay forget scary dogs - I'll take an angry dog over a person any day.

Today we went out to dinner to a place that has a dog friendly patio. With Tallahassee being a baby we try and get out with her as much as we possibly can.

We are sitting there eating onion rings (yum!) and working on a little bit of clicker training with Talla because with people walking by and stuff it seemed a good opportunity to work with distractions - while we waited for the rest of dinner to come!

A lady was watching us for a couple of minutes. I didn't think anything of it because Talla is pretty cute. Then she came up to us and asked a question I have learned to really despise because it is frankly nobodies business. She asked if Tallahassee was a rescue. I told her no that we bought her from an ethical breeder.

The woman then got red in the face and proceeded to scream at me (in front of my kids!) that it was people like me that killed hundreds of shelter dogs every day. Going so far as to call me a murderer for not adopting.

Sadly this is not the first time something like this has happened to me.

What bothers me the most is the sheer rudeness of the whole thing. I mean we were sitting their minding our own business.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? what did you do about it?

Reactions: leashedForLife

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
*sigh* This is why people sometimes don't adopt from shelters. I have to say I sometimes am on the asking side if it's a rescue. But I usually just get grumbly if people say they got them from a source that's very clearly a puppy mill or BYB.

I would say you could go on about how you got your dog from a good breeder (is that that Borozoi? I know you have some sighthounds), and that...well, Borozoi are near impossible to find in a rescue. But people like that don't believe any breeders are ethical. I'm a bit of a confrontational person so I wouldn't hesitate to argue or even insult someone like that but I don't know what your style is! If you have been involved in rescues I would also add that in as well, but again, there's no arguing with people that radical.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I would have told her to shut up, go sit back down, or I would have 911 on the phone at the count of 3....then signed a complaint saying you felt threatened by her and her screaming upset your kids. Maybe she would have got a public disturbance ticket at least. Either way, win win...she goes sits down, or the cops come and she gets a ticket for getting into your face.

Sorry you had to deal with an 'extremist' seems like the world is getting more and more of those.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've had this happen to me as well. It was absolutely shocking the first time. I remember I just stood there, shell-shocked, not knowing how to respond. It's very hard to say anything, because I think any of my arguments are just met with a similar level of attitude. I remember saying that a) I wanted a puppy (our shelters rarely have any) b) I wanted a purebred (Not because I'm elitist, but I like knowing what kind of traits to expect) c) I like having a clean slate.
Well, apparently those three answers were the same as saying that I enjoy throwing babies off a cliff. This man got so in my face about it that other people at the dog park came over to tell him to calm down. It was terrifying.
Now I pretty much just say it, let them have their moment, and if they start getting rude, I walk away.

Also, I freaking love onion rings.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Man, you all are better then I am. I have to admit my usually surprised response to people tends to be snarky, but anyone who dare get int my face about where and what kind of dog I got has another thing coming. By buying a dog, you are not killing a dog, you are getting the dog you most desire.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I was better at confrontations! My typical response is to want to pull a blanket over my head and hide.

I've been trying to work out her math but it just does not add up. By her logic my one dog bought from an ethical breeder killed a hundred shelter dogs. So since I have four dogs bought from breeders I must have killed four hundred shelter dogs.

but I never would have gone and adopted four hundred dogs from the shelter? Maybe she thinks I ought to be responsible for the dogs that would get adopted after? Like I adopt one which opens up the space for another one and so on an so forth.

Sometimes the breeds you are interested in just aren't in shelters. There are sight hounds in rescue but I'm not even sure I'd consider those rescue dogs. Since they are in the Borzoi rescue they are in no danger.

I am honestly very tempted by a dog in Borzoi rescue right now but I just keep repeating to myself that I do not need another one! she is a six month old Afghan hound/Borzoi cross and cute as can be!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I always get asked where I got my dog from (which I find surprising in the first place as she is not recognizable as any breed, about as mutt as mutt can be) Then when I tell them she is a rescue they sound surprised "wow but she is such a good dog!"
I just shake my head and walk on.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
If that was said to me while in public, I think I may ignore it or just be polite in response as it's unlikely I'll ever see the person again in my life. As such, I'd personally see little point in getting upset about it. I am surprise by people who are brave enough to say such comments to complete strangers. That lady had no way of knowing your personality and there's a small chance you could have been an unstable violent tempered person.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I've been trying to work out her math but it just does not add up. By her logic my one dog bought from an ethical breeder killed a hundred shelter dogs. So since I have four dogs bought from breeders I must have killed four hundred shelter dogs.
Don't try to justify the math. It's crazy person logic. It's ridiculous and does not deserve 1 more minute of your precious time.

Screw her and the high horse she rode in on!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I cant believe how rude she was, especially since she had the nerve to do that in front of your kids. Im sorry you had to experience this, and something similar on other occasions.

Thankfully I haven't had this happen to me, but then again I never really get asked were I got my dogs. I hope this doesn't happen to you again.
I think the thing that some people forget, its less about were you got the dog and more about how you treat and care for it, and that just because a dog is from a breeder doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a home.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've only had it happen once to me and it was very traumatizing haha. It was in a crowded vets office and after we just got told some bad news about a dog of ours that has since passed away. We were literally just told she had cancer and it was towards the end stages and as I walked out of the office, a man walked up and petted her and seemed really nice and he asked me, a 15 year old at the time, if she was a rescue and I said "nope, we got her from a really cool breeder" he went off and started screaming at me about how by purchasing her I just killed hundreds of dogs that actually deserved homes instead of my inbred idiot of a dog. With the news of cancer and with him screaming at me I started crying. The vet tech started yelling at the man to leave and he wouldn't listen to her, so the vet came out and very calmly started counting down and the man asked why he was doing that and the vet said "when I reach one, if you're still here, I'll be calling the police"
The man left in a hurry but I still cringe every time I think of it. Didn't turn me off from getting dogs from breeders, the two I have now are both from breeders and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They were way out of lime, but most crazy people are when it comes to their agenda.
I've never had this happen to me, no one has ever really asked me if my dog was a rescue.
I get flak from some people simply from breeding and even more so due to them being Pit Bulls. Some how when you breed it means 1000s of shelter puppies get PTS. You also "don't care about dogs" and can't be a responsible breeder because "there's no such thing", you are "using dogs to make money". :eyeroll:

My Co worker is into HSUS (ugh) and everything they say, I did get a lecture about my female breeding is going to lead to tens of thousands of descendants. Talk about ridiculous. (Try doing that math) I set them straight and that was that. We get along great, she's a very nice person, we just don't agree about breeding animals, keeping livestock, ect those types of things.

I've also been told having intact dogs is irresponsible and makes you responsible for the shelters being full of dogs, even if you never breed said dogs. It makes absolutely no sense.

*sigh* This is why people sometimes don't adopt from shelters. I have to say I sometimes am on the asking side if it's a rescue. But I usually just get grumbly if people say they got them from a source that's very clearly a puppy mill or BYB.

I would say you could go on about how you got your dog from a good breeder (is that that Borozoi? I know you have some sighthounds), and that...well, Borozoi are near impossible to find in a rescue. But people like that don't believe any breeders are ethical. I'm a bit of a confrontational person so I wouldn't hesitate to argue or even insult someone like that but I don't know what your style is! If you have been involved in rescues I would also add that in as well, but again, there's no arguing with people that radical.
Great point, but these people are nuts. They don't believe you should want a specific breed. That's selfish, wrong and somehow leads to the death of 100s of puppies. You should go to the pound and pick a dog. I think all of the dogs in shelters and those being put down is a sad situation, but that doesn't mean ethical breeders should stop what they are doing. It doesn't change the shelter situation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had this type of experience once with my olde English bulldogge, the woman caught me on a really bad day so I trolled the crap out of her. She first came and expressed concern that my dog wasn't neutered. He had kidney disease, it wasn't safe for him to be neutered. I was about to say that when she went into the whole "theres so many rescue dogs and then people go and buy 'dogs like this'" she says. So I smiled, said yes, I am breeding him soon. This was one of my breeding dogs and I produce them, would she like my number? I have puppies available. She was turning red in the face at this point so I kept going "I'm looking for a poodle bitch to breed this guy with, I think non-shedding bulldogs would be really popular, what do you think?" She tried to stay calm and continued to babble on about all the sick abandoned neglected dogs, so I cut her off and said "Yeah I'm taking my last litter to a pet store today cause I cant sell them, you should go see them for yourself". At this point she lost her temper and called me "scum of the earth", I told her to go eat a d***, and continued on my merry way. It was fun, but still really aggravating. People really should mind their own business and keep their ranting to the internet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Okay forget scary dogs - I'll take an angry dog over a person any day.
Haha... you and me both!

That was incredibly rude of her and I find that it happens more and more now - the more brainwashed people become from the huge "adopt, don't shop" campaign that has taken the nation by storm. It seems that getting a puppy from a breeder has become socially unacceptable. It just makes me want to support reputable breeders more and more.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all! the replies have caused me to laugh it off and put everything into perspective.

I am glad I am not the only one that as run into crazy people. It is frustrating that you cannot make people see reason. That being said I guess the people on the other side of the fence (the anti-breeder people) feel the same way when talking to me.

I wish people could just agree to disagree and go on their merry way without causing conflict.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I had this type of experience once with my olde English bulldogge, the woman caught me on a really bad day so I trolled the crap out of her. She first came and expressed concern that my dog wasn't neutered. He had kidney disease, it wasn't safe for him to be neutered. I was about to say that when she went into the whole "theres so many rescue dogs and then people go and buy 'dogs like this'" she says. So I smiled, said yes, I am breeding him soon. This was one of my breeding dogs and I produce them, would she like my number? I have puppies available. She was turning red in the face at this point so I kept going "I'm looking for a poodle bitch to breed this guy with, I think non-shedding bulldogs would be really popular, what do you think?" She tried to stay calm and continued to babble on about all the sick abandoned neglected dogs, so I cut her off and said "Yeah I'm taking my last litter to a pet store today cause I cant sell them, you should go see them for yourself". At this point she lost her temper and called me "scum of the earth", I told her to go eat a d***, and continued on my merry way. It was fun, but still really aggravating. People really should mind their own business and keep their ranting to the internet.
:eyeroll: there is nothing for her to be concerned about, as it's not her dog! I would have expressed concern that she did not have a hysterectomy (assuming she had not).

You must have had great fun with her, that would have been a sight to see. What a wonderful reply.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think in general there has to be balance. I do admit I get annoyed, sometimes legit angry when I see intact bully breeds and people going to breeders for bully breeds when...you can find them in shelters at any age, color, body type, and gender. There are some dogs that, in my opinion, the world does not need more of. There are a lot of breeds I see no point in going to a breeder for, unless you for sure want a little puppy.

But there are some breeds I do like to see bred--like someone mentioned the Olde English Bulldog. They're being bred for better physical health and bodies than the abomination of a dog regular English Bulldogs have become. I will say I am almost totally against breeding "hybrid" or "designer" dogs though. There is no reason for them to exist. There's no niche or need I can think of that an already established breed does not fill, and a mix with unpredictable temperaments, coat types, and looks will not fill any niche other than being "cute" and having a funny "breed name".

I think it depends on where you live as well. I encounter entirely too many people who get their from stores, BYBs or directly from mills. And a lot of Pit Bulls from "breeders" in the ghetto. Typically if I see someone that has a dog and it didn't come from a rescue...it came from a bad source. So when I'm usually saying "Don't shop, adopt", I'm really saying "Please don't contribute to cruel breeding practices that are torturing animals and destroying the purebred dog." If it's a good breeder I'm interested to hear about them, and I do hope to get a Leonberger sometime in the future and I even have a breeder picked out if she's still in business. I think the important thing that needs to be done is restrictions on breeding practices and who can breed dogs. You hear so many stories of even "Champion" breeders leaving older breeding dogs to languish in poor conditions or abusing the dogs. And commercial facilities should be completely done away with.

That being said, I never confront anyone in a nasty way like this unless they're doing something bad or did get their dog from a bad source.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts