Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old female Maltese mix has been doing something very weird lately.

She didnt do it before but for about a week now, after she pee's on the peepad she covers up her pee by folding and crumpling up the peepad. She doesn't rip it up, she just folds up the corners.

She does this about 60-75% of the time.

Is this normal? Is it the smell? Does she feel ashamed (for lack of better words)? Or, does she feel that she doesnt want to get caught peeing there? We never yelled or scolded her for missing.

My hope is that shes just trying to help us with the cleaning process. Does she just want a new peepad now?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Most dogs will do that as a way of spreading the scent to tell other dogs that they have been there. Any new members to the family recently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, the family is the same. She's the only dog. At first, I thought she just wanted to tear up the peepad for fun but after observing for a week I can tell that she only folds the peepad that she peed on. It's actually quite funny because people think I trained her to do it. But she started doing it on her own.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Dogs generally don't like hanging around the smell of their own waste. That's what makes crate training so effective! Dogs can't stand To be crated in close proximity to their urine (which smells 100 times stronger to them than it does to you or me). I wouldn't be surprised if folding the pad makes the room smell better to her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.