Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On February 6, 2016 my husband and I brought home a 2 month old Goldendoodle. My husband and I both work full time and our schedule as it pertains to the puppy is as follows:

5:30 a.m. - Wake up, go outside, eat breakfast, go outside again.
6:30 a.m. - Go outside
7:00 a.m. - Go outside
8:00 a.m. - Go outside
12:00 p.m. - (Husband comes home for lunch) Go outside, playtime
12:45 p.m. - Go outside
5:30 p.m. - (Home from work), go outside, eat dinner, go outside.

Throughout the evening we do a lot of playing, going on walks, and going outside. On February 6, 2016 my husband and I brought home a 2 month old Goldendoodle. My husband and I both work full time and our schedule as it pertains to the puppy is as follows:

Throughout the evening we do a lot of playing, going on walks, and going outside. We typically go to bed around 10:00 p.m. and that is when we take the puppy outside for the "last time".

We also set an alarm for 2:00 a.m. to wake up at take the puppy outside.

Originally, we had an exercise pen set up in our kitchen along with his crate, which we gave him access to while in his pen. His pen had his water, some toys and potty pads. We would leave him in his pen throughout the day while we were at work, and then we would leave him in there overnight. He got good at using the potty pads. However, every time my husband came home at lunch, or we got home in the evenings, or when we'd wake up at 2:00 a.m. or we'd wake up in the morning, there would be pee and poop all over the potty pads. I got to thinking that maybe he was just using them, and not holding it, because they were there for his accessibility.

So recently (for the last 2 weeks) we have done away with the potty pads. We do not give him access to his pen during the day or at night anymore. We just put him in his crate (which is small, and is of appropriate size) while we are at work or overnight. For the first 2-3 days he did GREAT! No accidents overnight, no accidents during the day, his crate was staying dry and he was always relieving himself in the backyard. However, now I feel like we are going backwards.

For the most part, he holds it overnight. When we get up at 2:00 a.m. his crate is USUALLY dry. Same for in the mornings when we get up. But when my husband comes home from lunch and when we get home in the evenings, 90% of the time he has peed or pooped in the crate. We have tried letting him have blankets and/or towels and we have also tried not putting anything in the crate with him. NOTHING seems to matter. The whole "a dog won't go where they sleep/eat" thing is completely inaccurate in our case. He just doesn't seem to care. We typically go to bed around 10:00 p.m. and that is when we take the puppy outside for the "last time". We also set an alarm for 2:00 a.m. to wake up at take the puppy outside. On February 6, 2016 my husband and I brought home a 2 month old Goldendoodle. My husband and I both work full time and our schedule as it pertains to the puppy is as follows:

Throughout the evening we do a lot of playing, going on walks, and going outside. We typically go to bed around 10:00 p.m. and that is when we take the puppy outside for the "last time".

We also set an alarm for 2:00 a.m. to wake up at take the puppy outside.

Originally, we had an exercise pen set up in our kitchen along with his crate, which we gave him access to while in his pen. His pen had his water, some toys and potty pads. We would leave him in his pen throughout the day while we were at work, and then we would leave him in there overnight. He got good at using the potty pads. However, every time my husband came home at lunch, or we got home in the evenings, or when we'd wake up at 2:00 a.m. or we'd wake up in the morning, there would be pee and poop all over the potty pads. I got to thinking that maybe he was just using them, and not holding it, because they were there for his accessibility.

So recently (for the last 2 weeks) we have done away with the potty pads. We do not give him access to his pen during the day or at night anymore. We just put him in his crate (which is small, and is of appropriate size) while we are at work or overnight. For the first 2-3 days he did GREAT! No accidents overnight, no accidents during the day, his crate was staying dry and he was always relieving himself in the backyard. However, now I feel like we are going backwards.

For the most part, he holds it overnight. When we get up at 2:00 a.m. his crate is USUALLY dry. Same for in the mornings when we get up. But when my husband comes home from lunch and when we get home in the evenings, 90% of the time he has peed or pooped in the crate. We have tried letting him have blankets and/or towels and we have also tried not putting anything in the crate with him. NOTHING seems to matter. The whole "a dog won't go where they sleep/eat" thing is completely inaccurate in our case. He just doesn't seem to care.

For the most part, he holds it overnight. When we get up at 2:00 a.m. his crate is USUALLY dry. Same for in the mornings when we get up. But when my husband comes home from lunch and when we get home in the evenings, 90% of the time he has peed or pooped in the crate. We have tried letting him have blankets and/or towels and we have also tried not putting anything in the crate with him. NOTHING seems to matter. The whole "a dog won't go where they sleep/eat" thing is completely inaccurate in our case. He just doesn't seem to care.

From doing research and talking to our vet, our now 3 month old puppy should be able to hold it for about 4 hours. The most we are leaving him between trips outside is 4 hours. What are we doing wrong? I'm aware he is just a baby, I don't have TOO high of expectations from him. He knows what outside is for, and always goes when we take him outside. The inconsistency, and the fact he was doing SO WELL at first is just frustrating. We are looking for any help or advise we can get.

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think you are expecting too much too soon. some puppies are more mature, some less. And even if they are able to hold it for 4 hours, how do they know when 4 hours is up and somebody is coming home to let them out?

Also just because your puppy has been clean/dry at times does not mean he is house trained. Full house training may take a little longer.

Personally, I'd rather my puppy peed and pooped on a designate area such as puppy pads or indoor potty tray (or even a cat litter tray) than out of desperation he toiletted in the crate. So I would go back to the play pen and puppy pads, unless you can get somebody to come to the house to see to him halway through the 4 hour period when you're not there.

Another thing to remember that dogs (puppies and adults) can demonstrate stress and anxieties by peeing and pooping. So your puppy's problem may not just be physical.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think you are expecting too much too soon. some puppies are more mature, some less. And even if they are able to hold it for 4 hours, how do they know when 4 hours is up and somebody is coming home to let them out?

Also just because your puppy has been clean/dry at times does not mean he is house trained. Full house training may take a little longer.

Personally, I'd rather my puppy peed and pooped on a designate area such as puppy pads or indoor potty tray (or even a cat litter tray) than out of desperation he toiletted in the crate. So I would go back to the play pen and puppy pads, unless you can get somebody to come to the house to see to him halway through the 4 hour period when you're not there.

Another thing to remember that dogs (puppies and adults) can demonstrate stress and anxieties by peeing and pooping. So your puppy's problem may not just be physical.

I agree with icemaiden - go back to the playpen and pee pads until he's a bit older. I used a similar set up and schedule with my pup... he used the pads until about 4-4.5 months old then even though he had access, stopped using them and went outside. I would leave the pads in there until he either stops using them or is 5-6 months old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts