Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am having a bit of a problem and looking for some advice. I have a 4 month old male Westie. We have had him for about a month and housetraining is going as well as can be expected. We are crate training and lucky for us he is very happy in his crate. Here is the issue - overnight he will go 8+ hours just fine. I work from home a lot, but a couple of days a week he gets a dog walker. He will be fine in his cage for 3-4 hours during the day until the walker comes. Once last week and then tonight we left him in the early evening. Today he was left from 430-730 and he peed in his crate. Last week it was about the same time. I fed him before he went in and he did go out to pee right before I left. Yet he still peed in the crate (he waited to poop until we got back). I can tell he was very unhappy he did this because when we came home he was loudly whining and usually he is quiet until we go to get him. I cannot figure out what the issue is with this time frame. On a regular night he is crated probably an hour during this time frame when we are eating dinner, maybe a little more so it is not completely different from a regular night. Thoughts? ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try giving him treats when he goes outside to let him know that if he goes outside he gets rewarded, inside he gets nothing. Also maybe try going without food in the cage or shortly beforehand. If you're planning on leaving, feed him a little bit beforehand so when you take him out before you leave, he'll go to the bathroom and hopefully not have to go again while you're gone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts