Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 1yo Boxer/Puggle mix named Bubba. He's such a sweetheart, but potty training has been a challenge. Not only has he been peeing in my house, he has been RUNNING and peeing in my house, so it goes EVERYWHERE. The biggest problem is when I let him out of his crate, which I keep upstairs in my bedroom. I guess he's an excited pee-er, because as soon as I open the door to the crate, he starts to pee, then runs all over my bedroom, down the stairs, all around my living room, and all over my couch before I can catch him and put him outside. It might be funny if it weren't so frustrating!

This is compounded with the fact that it's been raining almost every day, and he all but refuses to pee in the rain. He is also very active and drinks A LOT, so he pees A LOT. I feel like I am spending more time cleaning up his messes than I am enjoying having a new dog! Plus, it's impossible to catch every spot where he has peed (without mopping the floors and shampooing my carpet every day), so I feel like my house is starting to smell like pee. I'm so disgusted and frustrated by this!

I can handle the normal messes, but is there anything I can do to stop the runaway fire hose?!

A few points:
  • I always make sure he pees before I put him in the crate.
  • He does this whether he's been in the crate for 1 hour or 8 hours.
  • I have had him for 2 weeks, but this has only started in the last week.
  • It has become more frequent and now happens almost every time I let him out of the crate.
  • I'd rather not move the crate downstairs (i.e. closer to the door), if I can avoid it.
  • He's a little too big to carry down the stairs, which may or may not help anyway.
  • I don't want to use a pee-pad, which may or may not help anyway.
Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,721 Posts
Two words..... Belly Band https://www.chewy.com/simple-solution-washable-male-wrap/dp/56080 . They'll save your floors and your sanity, while you try and get a handle on his excitement in getting out of the crate.

Wait for calm before you let him out. Sit by the crate if you have to and wait till he's settled down, it'll help if you don't look at, or interact with, him while you are waiting, and when he's calm reach over and open the crate. If he starts to get excited when you reach over go back to waiting. I'd also reward all calm behavior, you can give him a quick pet, or drop / toss him a treat. Do not get him excited or wound up.

Keep in mind that if he's peeing because of excitement he really can't help it. It's sort of like I was so excited I wet myself!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Belly Band looks like it might do the trick! He is my first male dog, so definitely some new territory for me.

I am using the special urine cleaner, targeting spots and just spraying it around my rug for good measure :)

And good idea on making him calm down before letting him out. I definitely don't fault excited peeing, but hopefully I can minimize it!

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts