Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 4month old toy shih tzu. I've had it since it was 2months so it has been in my household for 2months already. I have been trying to pee pad train it for 2 months and it hasnt worked! You guys have any methods to help me out?? I want it to use the pee pad regularly. Its mainly a house dog. I live at home with my parents in a 2 story home. so there is a pee pad in my room which she spends most of her time in. and there is also a pee pad in the main downstairs washroom. How can I make her realize that when she has to pee or poo she just needs to find the pad? I took it to normal training and the trainer just tells us we should know her habits and start placing in on the pad whenever she needs to go, but even tho I catch her sometimes and situate her there, she doesnt seem to get it still. I've tried situating her there and rewarding her with treat once she does it. but next time will have the same accident of going wherever she is when I dont catch it. PLZ HELP!

·
Banned
711 Posts
You're going to have accidents for a while until she figures it out, that's part of owning a puppy.

Keep a stash of really yummy treats around. Feed her anytime she uses the pee pad (make sure that it is immediately afterwards, not five seconds afterwards, and while she's still on the pad,) and if she misses the pee pad, simply pick her up and gently put her on the pad without saying anything. She'll figure out pretty quickly that it pays more to go on the pad than to not go on it. It just takes time.

For future reference, there's no such thing as a "Toy" Shih Tzu. It's simply a regular Shih Tzu that was born too small.

·
Registered
218 Posts
With our Chi mix we used Simple Solution Puppy Aid Training Spray (available at PetSmart and elsewhere) and she figured it out very quickly. However, it doesn't work for all dogs and doing things that cause the dog to have negative associations with peeing (rubbing nose in it, etc) can cause the effort to backfire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This Training Spray...does it work with both urine and poo? We've had a great week associating the pad with peeing... but she still chooses to go else where to poo. Currently setting up two stations to see if it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts