Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we took Ellie home at just under 9 weeks, she was doing great with housetraining in the first couple of days.

Four days later, her fecal tested positive for coccidia. That evening she started on Albon, a sulfa antibiotic.

The next day... pee city! She was peeing every 15-30 minutes while awake and started having accidents in the house. We of course increased our vigilance, but she'd just squat while we were watching her. She also was drinking a ton of water. I wasn't sure if she was just developing a like for water, or if this was because she was peeing so much. I mean, I know puppies pee a lot, but this was a big change. As an aside, she slept fine in her crate, including several hours at night. No leaking.

Took a non-sterile sample to the vet. They called the next day to say the urine test showed some white blood cells. Sample was a bit dilute, but since she'd been drinking a lot this wasn't a surprise. Sugars were fine. They put her on clavomox. The next day she was better, but two days later she was still having to go out non-stop. I'm a research fanatic and started panicking about kidney issues. To put my mind at ease, they did a blood test which showed no issues. Of course, more of my relentless researching has showed that early kidney issues may not show up in bloodwork. Ok, not panicking yet. Quite. ;)

Continued on the clavamox, and with super careful vigilance, there were no accidents. However, in the past few days, she has been peeing like crazy. Sometimes, if she's chill and hanging out on the couch, she can go an hour. She's gone up to 3 hours without peeing in her crate during the day (longest we've left her, and that was just once). Still sleeping fine for several hours at night. I know active puppies pee a lot, but seriously, this is nuts. For example, today she peed twice in 45 minutes than peed in the house within 15 minutes of the second time she went out.

By the way, we do NOT scold, yell, clap, etc. Because our eyes are always on her... no joke, I'm going cross-eyed, we just scoop her up gently (not roughly) and take her outside. We also treat and praise after she pees outside.

Sometimes, she'll pee, then as we walk her around, she'll pee a tiny bit more a couple of times after the first pee. Not usually, but sometimes.

Yesterday, I took her back to the vet, where they drew a sterile sample. We'll have to wait for results.

I did see a bit of pus today while she was lying on her back, as she enjoys, shortly after one of the times she peed.

So I have some thoughts:

--Clavamox isn't working. But dang, that's a potent drug.
--Albon is a sulfa drug. Could it be sulfa crystals? I'm grasping at straws here, but this all started the day after she started the Albon. I used to work in pharma so that popped into my head.
--Does she have a recessed/hooded/tipped vulva? I forgot to ask the vet about it. But I think maybe she does. Dang it, that sounds like it would be a real PITA to manage over the coming months. Got two young boys in the house and a husband who works long hours. Non-stop cleaning the pee areas and UTI's sound less than fun for pup and for me! Obviously we'll do whatever it takes, but ugh. I've heard if she has this, we should delay spaying until after she goes through her first heat. OMG, I seriously hate the idea of dealing with a heat with the kids and a busy household, but I'll do whatever is necessary.
-- Is this not even a UTI? The first sample showed WBC's but that's it. She doesn't seem to be licking it much. I mean, I noticed maybe once or twice since we got her, but frankly it seems a non-issue.
-- Could it be a kidney issue?
-- Vaginitis?
-- Is this just typical, hyper, little-bladder puppy stuff? She's 11 weeks now. She is a bit ADHD outside so may not be fully emptying her bladder. Then again, I did see that bit of pus. :ponder:

In the pictures, some are with her legs splayed out, and two are with me holding her back legs more together.

If you're still reading this, you rock!

Attachments

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Can't help with a possible recessed vulva, I've never personally seen one.

If she was fine BEFORE drugs I'd bet the drugs are the cause. How many days more is she on the drugs for?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah I be suss on the meds also, as anything wrong with her plumbing would have be clear before now.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't help with a possible recessed vulva, I've never personally seen one.

If she was fine BEFORE drugs I'd bet the drugs are the cause. How many days more is she on the drugs for?
Tomorrow is the last dose. It was a 14 day course. The first night was a bigger dose with the remaining nights a smaller dose.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I be suss on the meds also, as anything wrong with her plumbing would have be clear before now.
It seems like a stretch, but not impossible. However, now I'm thinking back and wondering about the fact that the first culture, from a couple of weeks ago, didn't show crystals. Hmm. But seems so odd that her symptoms wouldn't have improved after all that time on the clavamox. Luke once had a massive UTI just swarming with e-coli, and his symptoms were gone in less that two days.

Also, I've been wondering about the hooded vulva thing for a while. Meant to ask the vet yesterday but forgot. You'd think she'd have noticed, but I suppose she could have simply not thought to check. Which would be weird.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also started wondering about other anatomical issues, but she doesn't leak at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The best picture would be her standing up and taking a picture directly from behind. From that last picture, a hooded vulva is very suspicious. However, all that would do is cause recurrent UTIs. See what the latest sterile sample says.

How old is she now? Is she spayed? Does she ever leak urine while sleeping? I've seen reactions to albon, but never like this but the time line is oddly suspicious.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is 11 weeks. Not spayed. I realize if it is a hooded vulva, she can't be spayed until after she goes through her first heat cycle. God help me. With my crazy household and two young boys, lots of visiting kids, me volunteering at tons of school events, plus I dogsit sometimes. OMG.

No, she never leaks urine while sleeping.

If it is a hooded vulva, is there anything that can prevent UTI's? Do we just wipe her every time she pees? We'll do what we have to, but seriously that is going to be very hard. We have such a busy household. This sucks.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If it is a hooded vulva, then yes, you should wait until after her first heat cycle to spay her. That being said, it's not an automatic fix. Holly had one after me waiting until after her first heat cycle and I did surgery on her in May to take away extra skin to expose the vulva more. Knock wood, so far so good and she hasn't had a UTI since that surgery.

However, I think there are more things to consider here first. I would absolutely be stopping the albon, seeing what the sterile culture says and honestly, I think maybe having an abdominal ultrasound may be a good idea to make sure nothing looks odd in there.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
If you're not already, crate train her. It will be a life and sanity saver for you and her if you end up needing to let her go though a heat.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We're working on crate training. So far she likes it when she's sleepy and despises it while awake. Can get a tiny bit of time in there with a stuffed kong but even then she wants out.

Holly, what issues would you be looking for in an ultrasound? I had a panic attack reading about some juvenile kidney thing, but bloodwork didn't show any problems. Then I read that in the early stages, kidney problems might not show up in bloodwork? I'm starting to freak out about that again.

They used ultrasound to get the sterile sample. But I don't think they used it to look around. Just to guide the needle.

If it is a hooded vulva, are we doomed to months of non-stop UTI's? She wasn't bad this morning, although I had her out a lot to be sure. I even took her for a ride somewhere and then back, and she didn't have an accident that whole time, about an hour and change.

Tonight was crazy. Had her out every 20-30 minutes. Most times she'd pee, then walk a bit and pee again a few seconds later. Recently she had a huge accident literally 10 minutes after she'd been out.

I was dying tonight. My husband works long hours. I need to be able to help my kids with schoolwork, make them dinner, and give them some attention. :'(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
With the ultrasound I'd be taking a very good look at her kidneys for congenital abnormalities like dysplastic/malformed kidneys or something. I'd also be looking at the bladder to look for any abnormalities, including where the ureters enter the bladder. Look for any stones/sludge in the bladder. And, unfortunately, any masses or abnormal anatomy or something (no, she's not too young because they can be born with abnormalities like that).

A urinalysis would be good in addition to the culture to look at specific gravity, protein in the urine, look for crystals (though it is too late for this with the sample collected) etc. There do NOT, unfortunately, have to be changes to blood work for their to be issues with kidney structure. (hence the need for the ultrasound).

If it is a hooded vulva then yes, you may have months of UTIs which is annoying and bad. I'd recommend putting her on a cranberry supplement like Crananidin.

I'm suspicious that this is not a UTI. My female dog does mark, but your dog is a bit young for that. And she doesn't have accidents in the house...

If you leave her in the crate, will she urinate in it?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
So not an expert, but the only dog I know who had kidney issues as a pup also has other symptoms, including constant soft poop and less than steller growth. In retrospect those symptoms were obvious at a young age but were never connected.

An ultrasound can spot crystals in the bladder sometimes, definetly stones, or other malformations.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
OP the fact you can see her private clearly is a lucky thing because with my jessie being long haired she has hair everywhere so i cant tell if hers is hooded or what etc. I am planning on asking groomer to clip the hair away from it next month

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far she has not urinated in her crate. That said she's not usually in it long if she's awake. She sleeps in there or she is leashed to us. A few times she has been awake in it with a stuffed kong but not much more than a half hour. She has sometimes hung out on the couch with us for long periods of time chewing on nylabones and such. Maybe 45-60 minutes. No peeing there. Today I took her to a local dog friendly store. We were gone over an hour. No peeing either in the car or at the store.

I'm just about having a heart attack. Seems like at best we r doomed to endless UTIs for many months or even a year. At worst, a deadly condition.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is a kidney issue but not (god forbid) a deadly one, can anything be done?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a pic I took just now after she peed. You can see some discharge. And does look hooded, no? I guess as sucky as that would be, it would be better than some of the other possibilities.

I will call the vet but not sure what they will do before they have the culture results.

If it is a hooded vulva, is there any chance of her growing out if it before her heat? Will she be on low dose antibiotics prophylactically?

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP the fact you can see her private clearly is a lucky thing because with my jessie being long haired she has hair everywhere so i cant tell if hers is hooded or what etc. I am planning on asking groomer to clip the hair away from it next month
Is she having UTIs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts