Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, (and have fun too), but seriously, Sonic loves peeing on tires, bushes, poles, mailboxes, recycling bins, buildings, benches, any thing upright he can hike a leg at. Obviously, I can move him along instead. I figure utility poles and trees are fair game, not sure about the rest.
So lets talk pee etiquette for the boys, please.

·
Registered
495 Posts
When I walked my friend's dog, I shooed him away from anything that specifically belonged to a person (so bushes in a private yard, tires, garbage cans, etc). Bushes and trees along parks were fair game, as there also seemed to be a whole lot of other scents there to check out. I would probably avoid mailboxes just because of rust and possible smell lingering issues. Benches are also a no-no, since people like to sit there.

Reactions: Artdog and Sabina88

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
NOPE! It's not just the Males that read the 'P-Mail' My girl will actually back up into a pole and lift her leg to 'p-mail' her friends.....................there is a very favored stop sign pole on our walk route, but if your dog peed where my dog sniffed, she will leave a message! LOL!

·
Registered
202 Posts
My pup is 5 months, so at the age where he wants to mark everything outside as well! I let him on most things(trees, electric poles, corners of fences if it's not right by someone's house, etc.) but I wouldn't let him on something like cars, or steps or near childrens playgrounds and the like. My biggest issue now is keeping him distracted enough he doesn't hike a leg inside a pet store!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
- generally don't pee on anything that gets touched by a child or an adult (lamp posts, roadsigns, traffic light posts, post boxes)
-don't pee in or on other people's property (front yards, fences, house walls, cars, bycicles...)
-don't pee on the pavement, because children could fall there.

okay: trees and bushes of they're not on private property. preferably in a way so that is unlikely for children to play there.

Sancho unsually doesan't lift his leg, because he's got hip problems and it is difficult to balance on one leg.
I would have the same rules with a female dog.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have a girl but she marks a lot and will sometime hike her bum as high on a bush as possible or even lift her leg to leave a message.

She also has no shame about peeing on the sidewalk/very public areas... first dog I know who is like this. All other dogs I know usually prefer grass or some natural terrain but it doesn`t really bother Ella.. which can be embarrassing. So with her I have to keep my eyes open as I would with any male dogs when walking in crowded places.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't let my boys pee on car tires, trash cans, flowers/flower beds. Those are the most common things we come across. Light poles/telephone phones, the curb and rocks are all fair game, as are trees/shrubs when out in the park or woods.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chess is a female, but she will lift her leg and pee on things with the best of them. I don't allow it on any personal things. She also likes to mark on pavement, gravel and decks which i find very strange, and i don't allow that either. She would never actually pee to relieve her bladder there, but she will mark. She's extremely well housebroken, but I do have to be careful in new places if there's any fresh pee spots. As long as I watch her and tell her no when I see her think about it, she's fine after about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I live in a large city, so there's A LOT of concrete around me. I tend to steer Merlin away from anything that doesn't have grass around it (so anything that has a foundation on concrete) and from people's front yards. Otherwise it's all fair game haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tend to keep him away from things that belong to people too, like cars, bins drive ways etc, but let him go anywhere else .

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I forgot to add that I usually keep Merlin from peeing on fire hydrants solely because I refuse to let my dog be a cliché...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.