Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 week old Basset and her nails are getting really long and sharp. When she climbs on my she scratches the heck out of my legs and arms. This is the 2nd Basset I've had so I know pedicures are going to be a constant thing. My previous Basset hated getting his nails trimmed and we had to lay on top of him, hold him down, and use nail clippers. It was quite an ordeal that I do not want me to repeat with my new puppy.

I purchased the PediPaws and read through the instructions. I introduced it to her with praise and she sniffed it and no issues with it. I then turned it on and she DID NOT like that and got away from it. I turned it off and while giving her praise I turned it on then turned it off. I repeated this until I could leave it on without her fussing.

So today I tried trimming her nails. I turned it on and she fussed a lot! I had my Mom hold her and while she was petting her and as we both said "good girl" I turned it on and she resisted A LOT. I managed to touch it to 1 nail for 1/4 second and she squirmed and would not sit still until I turned it off. I tried it 2 more times and then stopped for the day.

She is normally very docile when it comes to baths or ear rinses, but this freaked her out. I was thinking of waiting until she is really tired and trying it so she won't fight as much. Should I have her vet trim her nails in the meantime until I can get her used to it? Should I turn it on, set it on a table, and leave it running to get used to the sound?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Agreed-you probably just jumped the gun, she'll need more expsure to the pedipaws first, and perhaps also to having her paws handled.

In the meantime, it's actually inexpensive to have a vet do them, you may want to have them done while you are working up to doing it on your own. For a rabbit, you can pay around 12$ so a dog should be in that neighborhood I'm assuming ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could leave it on while she eats, but I'm having crate training issues so I am trying to feed her in her crate so I don't know if I should do both. I'm worried about stimulation overload.

I'll watch that video tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts