Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone on this site!

Yesterday something which I'd describe as a heavy solid wood chair felt over my dog paw (he climbed on it's backrests and it felt down). It started bleeding but it stopped after some time. He can walk on that leg and even run, but when he stands still he lifts his leg in the air so it hurts him . From what i managed to see I think it felt over his nail. I know that maybe I should go to the vet with him, but the problem is he is afraid of that place and won't let the vet even get close to his paw without being anesthetized and he just got a surgery last week. Too many anesthesias on a dog aren't by far good especially in such a short time.

From my point of view I think it would be better if I don't take him to the vet. What do you think?

Thank you!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened to your pup. :(

Might there possibly be a traveling vet in your area? My oldest is also deathly afraid of going to the vet, and at her advanced age, having her shake and drool with stress in the waiting room is just not an option. A year or so ago I was at first astounded and then elated to learn that there is, in fact, a vet that does house calls, and it has made ALL the difference.

Now two of my three dogs are seen by her, and she's wonderful. My youngest already has a history with a vet nearby, but it's entirely possible that down the road (no pun intended) my home-visit vet will be seeing her as well.

If this isn't an option, you're going to have to bite the bullet and take him in. You could ask your vet for some anti-anxiety medication before you do, perhaps, which might help before you get there. If there was bleeding, the damage might involve a broken nail or something which would have to be treated by a vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts