Dog Forum banner

Paw cut treatment?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Dawnben 
#1 ·
My dog seems to have a cut in between his paw pad/toes. He had been licking it off and on for a couple days, and when I try to spread his toe to see what's going on he pulls away in discomfort. The glimpse I got didn't look like a deep cut but it did look like yellow pus was coming out. How can I treat this?

I don't want to keep trying to look because I think if it's healing, spreading the paw may reopen/aggravate it. Is there a paw soak I should do? I read something about iodine but I don't have any and it says it stains fur so I'd like an alternative...

He doesn't lick it constantly but a few times a day
Could I use tea tree oil?

#2 ·
Tea tree oil will sting like nothing else, if the pus is yellow or greenish an antiseptic and/or antibiotics are likely necessary, especially as you can't monitor the wound. You could ring your vet and see if they recommend any topical antiseptics? From a Google search povidone iodine 10% solution is available, it is really good for first aid in humans, the staining isn't too bad, you could always use a cotton ball to apply it so only the bottom of the paw is stained.

#3 ·
I will check out the iodine solution today. I think it's also sold in a pad/wipe form, should I do that or just get solution?

It's just a frustrating spot to have a cut since I won't be able to easily tell if it's healing

#7 ·
Yes, we play hide n seek with his toys in the house-wears him out mentally at least. I also made up a Kong for later.

Got charged an arm and a leg for the solution but as long as it works...wonder how long I should expect until it heals

#15 ·
The instructions said to just apply directly to the area, which I did. There is a website that goes over the benefits of soaking your dog's paws (regardless of cuts/wounds with the diluted mixture in a tub or a bucket just to cleanse and get rid of any small particles and toxins from lawns, gravel, etc. so that is why I was unsure. I will probably use this in the future for paw soaks after hiking since I'll have so much left over.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll be watching it closely.

Reactions: Chas
#9 ·
I'm going to echo off of what Chas said. I would call the vets just to see if they think it might be worth looking at. Since it is the paw its going to be easier to dirty so try to keep the paw clean (just a quick brush off of the dirt from the paw). It might also be good to get it looked since you cant get a good look to make sure its not infected or caused by something that poked into his paw.
Your best bet is to make sure it stays clean and dry, and try to keep him from liking. Lukilly he isn't obsessively liking but liking can still agrivate the wound. You could also try honey, honey is hydroscopic is good for wound healing. They also sell antiseptic spray at the petstore. This is the one I got when Sawyer had a cut Remedy+Recovery Medicated Antiseptic Spray for Dogs | Petco Store, but there are a few different brands and types you can look into.

Jagger- I wouldn't suggest crazy glue in this instance because he is liking the wound. So you wouldn't want him to injest any of it.

Reactions: Rain
#16 ·
I don't want to keep trying to look because I think if it's healing, spreading the paw may reopen/aggravate it. Is there a paw soak I should do? I read something about iodine but I don't have any and it says it stains fur so I'd like an alternative...

He doesn't lick it constantly but a few times a day
Could I use tea tree oil?
I would have it checked by the vet. Don't just close up wounds because you can close the dirt and bacteria in the wound especially if the dog wont let you get a good look at it. If you close up the wrong wound it can pool puss behind the closure and cause problems. Some wounds need to stay open to drain. I use healing clay for these type of wounds because it cleans and helps heal. It also forms its own bandage when it dries. If they lick it off it is not harmful , you can use it inside and out.
https://www.earthsnaturalclay.com/b...al-pets-naturally-with-calcium-bentonite-clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.